VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone out there can help me out finding one of these or at least a number or something for it. It's not the idle air control valve... says it's a silencer for idle air control.... looks like a black plastic canister. Anyways the vw stealership didn't know what I was talking about and i don't know where to find one or if I even need it. I think it exploded when I tried to start my car once and there were plastic pieces laying around in my car and then I didn't see it anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (Rippen Raymen)

That looks about right... why would bentley call it something else? Anywho... looks like I'll be looking for one of those now. Thanks

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (jpete)

Ah, I gotta get one of those for my B3 as mine broke...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (me11311)

just wondering where that piece is located im always in search to find more things out about my b3.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (shortys7777)

I've never seen one of those before. Where does it mount?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (cnap)

Quote, originally posted by cnap »
I've never seen one of those before. Where does it mount?

Back of the intake manifold, next to the throttle body, towards the center of the car. It's mounted with the heat shield down to protect it from the exhaust manifold. There is a little "ear" that goes into the air intake tube to help support it. If you have a bad coil pack and all the conditions are just right, it will backfire through the intake and blow this thing to pieces with "great vengeance and FURIOUS anger!"(any Pulp Fiction fans?) A loud blast and a puff of smoke and you'll think you just blew the motor.
Ask me how I know.....

Jeff

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (me11311)

It's just a silencer right? So, it's not really that important? Has anyone bypassed theirs?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (Shikaroka)

Someone asked where this is, I hope this picture helps (it's the green part which has a big blue arrow pointed at it
)

Abe

·
Registered
103 Posts

From what I've been reading this thing is called a PCV Damper. Mine just exploded,went to start the 95 vr6 glx passat in pretty cold weather after not using the car for about 2 weeks. Plastic parts were everywhere, made a loud bang and lots of smoke. Now what? what caused this? should I replace it and just try to start the car again? Car was running just fine before. please help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (Shikaroka)

I bypassed mine.
What does this thing exactly do?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (VR6vik)

I have no idea what it does. Can you tell me how you bypassed it? pictures?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (ussfox)

I can post pics tomorrow(for me).
Here is 10:00 PM at the moment

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (ussfox)

Quote, originally posted by ussfox »
From what I've been reading this thing is called a PCV Damper. Mine just exploded,went to start the 95 vr6 glx passat in pretty cold weather after not using the car for about 2 weeks. Plastic parts were everywhere, made a loud bang and lots of smoke. Now what? what caused this? should I replace it and just try to start the car again? Car was running just fine before. please help.

Mine did that to me the other day, Sorta scared me. Sounded like internals rattling around after a shotgun bang. Luckily I had an extra. I laughed a little afterwards.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Looking for a Silencer for idle air control(or so the bentley says) (vwnut18t)

The cost on this part with shipping from NY to PA is now 53.00. From germanautoparts

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,020 Posts

Sorry to bump this up but... has anyone taken one of these apart? ALL it does is silence the idle noise? Mine actually makes a sort of hissing sound...
Oh and i broke off the support that goes to the intake hose today. i thought it was a vacuum line... good to hear it's still normal

1 - 20 of 22 Posts