VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to replace my pirelli p7000's with a good summer tire, that i can take to the track. a friend recommended the Kumho ECSTA's. they seem like a pretty good value, but how do they really perform? also anyone have any other recommendations.
thanks

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Re: Looking for good summer tire... Kumho ECSTA 712? (poopy_pants)

They kinda suck actually, and suck a lot. If you're looking for a tire in the same price range, try the Yoko AVS ES100. It's usually only a few dollars more per tire and works much better in every way. Heres a comparison between the two tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/uhp_give_you_more_charts.html
I have owned the Kumhos but not the ES100's. The Kumhos were the worst tires I've ever owned. No grip, poor steering response, and they only lasted me about 10K miles.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

i had 17k miles on mine with 75% tread left. Very good tire imo for the money. Handled on rails, wet traction was great, tire wear excellent...
You'll find your lovers and haters for these I'd buy them again

[Modified by Galactic02, 6:13 PM 3-23-2003]

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Re: Looking for good summer tire... Kumho ECSTA 712? (Galactic02)

You will get mixed reviews. granted they are no S03's or Pilot sports but for the money you really cant complain, and they will dry rot before you wear through them. i recommend them based on the fact that they are very quiet (i have yoko paradas, geeech), wet traction is great, they are avail in many sizes and like i said for they price you really cant go wrong. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Oh BTW: stay away from the 711's which are usually the same price.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts

Again, mine lasted 10K miles without one single autocrossing session. I've had 5 sets of tires on my GTI and these were by far the least grippy and shortest lived. I'm a 712 hater!

Most people don't notice that there are three versions of the 712. W, V, and H rated with treadwear ratings of 280, 340, and 360 respectively. The set I had were the W rated tires and had a shorter life than the 140 treadwear Bridgestone Potenza RE71's I once had. I imagine the other versions are even less grippy.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Looking for good summer tire... Kumho ECSTA 712? (Sozsei)

what do u guys think of the Yokohama AVS ES100. they seem like a better tire for the money

·
Registered
18,889 Posts

Go Kumho. Cant beat the price, and the performance is great. Had them on 17s and caught some nasty pot-holes in NYC....no bubbling, no loss of air....
I have gone Kumho, and will stick to Kumho from now on for the summer.
Like everyone else said, wet handling is great, dry traction is great, handling is great. So a great wheel for under 90beans? that takes the cake.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]what do u guys think of the Yokohama AVS ES100. they seem like a better tire for the money[HR][/HR]​
One of my friends has tried both and she liked her 712's until she tried the ES100's. She's got an Accord with an H22, LSD, and a Nitrous Express 75 shot so she knows her shiz and appreciates traction.
I have another friend who's ditching his 712's for a set of these. He should be getting them early this week so I'll let you know what his impressions are.
edit...Sorry to wh0re up your thread. I just think that for most people who like Kumho 712's, these are the first "performance" tires they've ever purchased. In the many threads I've read, people who like these tires never have another tire experience to compare them too (other than stock). They are slightly better than what VW equips our cars with from the factory but that's not saying much. They are basically regular old tires with a tread pattern than makes people think they're sporty. After you've owned and hated a set, you can watch a lowered import take a corner at speed, hear the horrible screech that only crappy tires make, and bet money that he's rolling on Kumho 712's. *RANT OVER* Sorry, can you tell I disliked my Kumhos?

[Modified by Sozsei, 10:56 PM 3-23-2003]

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

I used the Kumho 712's last season and I really have no complaints at all. They provided great wet and dry traction and really improved the overall handling of the car. I would recommend them to anyone and the price is really hard to beat. I am ready to swap my winter wheels and tires and put them back on my VW in the next few weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts