VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going thru the Bentley manual some more this afternoon, just wondering if anyone has seen this. Car ran regular and great last Sunday( and past months) then suddenly will not start. Here is what I know:

a. There is no fuel at the distributor or filter
b. Fuel Pump is not turning on, pump turns when hot wired from battery at 12v
c. As wired in the car I get 10 volts at the pump. ( This is very surprising to me )
d. with hot-wired pump - 12 volts: pump turns on, some flow but looks a like low fuel flow rate at the fuel fitting.
e. Bought a new fuel pump and my 10v still do not turn on the pump. ( Again Very surprising).
f. battery is fully charged

I need to figure what is causing my system to only produce 10v. Has anyone seen this?

Guidance would be very much appreciated. I need to fix this for a track day in 3 weeks!!!

Thanks,

·
Registered
771 Posts
When you hotwire the pump, are you taking out the fuel pump relay and jumping it in the relay socket?

Try testing voltage at the relay socket, going into and coming out of the relay. Relays can go bad in various ways including corrosion.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
No reason to replace the pump if there is no fuel going to it. I would also make certain the fuel line going to the pump if unobstructed.

Start at the fuel pump relay and find out what the voltage supply is there. Then see what the voltage is coming out of the relay.

It's a simple issue just start at the relay.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the guidance. After working from the relay, via process of elimination and checking around for ground, I found that the battery disconnect was bleeding volts. Now it runs like a champ. Thanks

Sent fromk in my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts