VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mk6 Gli with Fender audio. Unfortunately my half drunk brother was helping me jump start it and he hooked up the cables backwards. It caused a number of issues including the stereo system and the radio turns on but there is no longer sound coming from the unit, just dead silence. I’ve looked and only found one thread about a similar situation but it was not fixed even after the owner replaced the head unit and the amplifier. So I don’t want to waste my money if it’s possibly something else. I do have vcds and am going to try pinpointing the issue.

I’ve been a little strapped for cash lately as the store I managed closed because of Covid and I’m looking for another job. And to replace the head unit and amp is about $600-$800 from what I’ve seen.

I was wondering if anyone thought it was possible to buy an aftermarket head unit and somehow bypass the amplifier. I’ve found some for around $250 that say they have a built in amplifier. I didn’t know if it’s possible to connect the speakers directly to the radio. Even if it’s not as loud as it was before I’m ok with it.

Hopefully this is not dumb of a question. I know everything about the mechanics of the car, just not very knowledgeable about sou systems. I appreciate any help

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a mk6 Gli with Fender audio. Unfortunately my half drunk brother was helping me jump start it and he hooked up the cables backwards. It caused a number of issues including the stereo system and the radio turns on but there is no longer sound coming from the unit, just dead silence. I’ve looked and only found one thread about a similar situation but it was not fixed even after the owner replaced the head unit and the amplifier. So I don’t want to waste my money if it’s possibly something else. I do have vcds and am going to try pinpointing the issue.

I’ve been a little strapped for cash lately as the store I managed closed because of Covid and I’m looking for another job. And to replace the head unit and amp is about $600-$800 from what I’ve seen.

I was wondering if anyone thought it was possible to buy an aftermarket head unit and somehow bypass the amplifier. I’ve found some for around $250 that say they have a built in amplifier. I didn’t know if it’s possible to connect the speakers directly to the radio. Even if it’s not as loud as it was before I’m ok with it.

Hopefully this is not dumb of a question. I know everything about the mechanics of the car, just not very knowledgeable about sou systems. I appreciate any help
Follow all safety precautions and read your owner's manual so that you don't damage your car or hurt yourself.

Some audio head units have a fuse in the back for protection and also the circuit will to. I would first check all your fuses. First, I would disconnect the ground cable and wait about 60 Mississippis then reconnect and see if audio came back on. Second, see if you have an audio amplifier and check that circuit. Third, if you know the audio head or amplifier unit has an internal problem, take it apart and see by visual inspection if a capacitor went bad. You can use a multi meter to test it by observing it to charge the capacitor and then go open circuit within seconds. If you find one that is bad replace it, use a sucker to remove solder.

Prior to taking apart any electrical component remove power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the radio the only thing that doesn’t work? Some AAA rookie hooked up jumper cables backwards in my ladies Chevy Equinox and her radio went, along with one headlight and door chime things. Turned out to be a Body Control Module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s the Fender audio system with an amplifier under the seat.
I’ve checked all the fuses along with trying to disconnect it and reboot it.

@rkg130 - that’s what I was wondering is if there’s a module or some other unit that would be affected

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would start with a VCDS full scan first just to identify if any modules got fried during the reverse polarity event. (Extent of the damage).

If the radio turns on (and seems to work) I would suspect error in communication between radio and amp first. The Fender amps are canbus activated. If the message to turn on the amp cant get there it wont turn on hence no audio.

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Follow all safety precautions and read your owner's manual so that you don't damage your car or hurt yourself.

Some audio head units have a fuse in the back for protection and also the circuit will to. I would first check all your fuses. First, I would disconnect the ground cable and wait about 60 Mississippis then reconnect and see if audio came back on. Second, see if you have an audio amplifier and check that circuit. Third, if you know the audio head or amplifier unit has an internal problem, take it apart and see by visual inspection if a capacitor went bad. You can use a multi meter to test it by observing it to charge the capacitor and then go open circuit within seconds. If you find one that is bad replace it, use a sucker to remove solder.

Prior to taking apart any electrical component remove power.
Nice post(y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts