VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not helpless but you guys have done lots more than me. Problem is I live in a condo and have no place to work-I don't even change my own oil anymore. My Jetta is a tdi but I don't think that matters in this case.
Background:
My jettas CEL comes on after about 20 seconds after starting and stays on. The car starts rough and blows a lot of smoke. I had it checked and was told it came up internal failure-tho they didn't tell me the code.
Last year I was having hard cold starts and the CEL was always on. Shop said it was cycling the glow plugs on and off when the car was running. They said it needed a new ECM but after I took it home (to consider the cost) the light stayed off and the car was fine. Now it's acting up again.
It has been suggested that I try removing the ECM and replacing the vacumn hose in it before I give up and replace the unit.
I know it's under the wiper cowl but i don't know which side and since i don't do this much I'd like a little more detail than pull it out and change the hose-just to be on the safe side.
I was here last week and found a post with a n explaination and link that was helpful but now iIcan't find it when I search. If anyone can advise me or point me in the right direction I will appreciate it.
Thanks!

Modified by tototwo at 11:51 AM 10-31-2007

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
Re: Looking for How To Remove the ECU/ECM from my '98 Jetta- (zero.)

it's under the driver side section of the cowl, but you have to remove both sections of the cowls to get it off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.