VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

There doesn't seem to be a module on ebay right now. Does anyone have a Keyless Entry Module to sell for my switchblade Cabrio?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Go aftermarket, wire things up, modify the key fob to fit into a VW mk4 fob. been done plenty, love mine. the OEM stuff is what, 25 to 30 years old! yea electrical components don't last that long for these.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can I activate the car alarm with aftermarket modules? Also, if I install a second alarm system in the car, wouldn't that cause issues with the immobilizer?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
remove old busted stuff. easy to bypass it behind the driver side vent. way back there...... kinda to the right of the vent.
wire in your own system. done.
I did this so that i could pop the trunk, and by pop the trunk i mean blast my train horns remotely for 1 full second (the time the relay stays open for the trunk release.
Its just wires. and you can do so much more. i was able to (with an antenna and fob mod to get a range of over 900 feet, honking my train horns from 2 blocks away was so trick.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Module? As in the White Box under the dash behind the light switch? or the key Fob?

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,036 Posts
If you just want an easy fix, yes it's better to go with a known good OEM module. Far less work, and the alarm modules don't often go bad on the later cabrio (they are different from the Mk3 modules, that are known faulty). Most of the alarm problems are actually door harness wire breaks, anyway, so what is the problem with yours?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you just want an easy fix, yes it's better to go with a known good OEM module. Far less work, and the alarm modules don't often go bad on the later cabrio (they are different from the Mk3 modules, that are known faulty). Most of the alarm problems are actually door harness wire breaks, anyway, so what is the problem with yours?
Well, I actually do not have one on mine. I have a GL Cabrio, so keyless entry was not installed at the factory. I was originally interested in getting one as a convenience feature for the car. But my lock cylinder broke, and I had to have a specialty shop repair it due to the cold weather.

I figure getting one of those modules will make that repair a moot point in the future. Hence why I am ramping up my search.

·
Registered
48,036 Posts
Are you in the USA? All Mk3.5 had keyless. If the box is plastic, it's remote capable. The 00-02 had a different module (and wiring) than the earlier models, and the remotes are not compatible.

If you can get a late Mk3.5 module, and find the FCC ID from it, you can use that to find a compatible remote.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you in the USA? All Mk3.5 had keyless. If the box is plastic, it's remote capable. The 00-02 had a different module (and wiring) than the earlier models, and the remotes are not compatible.

If you can get a late Mk3.5 module, and find the FCC ID from it, you can use that to find a compatible remote.
Well I tried contacting the Dealer for the FCC ID, but they weren't able to pull it up from the VIN. Would an advanced OBD scanner be able to address the FCC ID? Or am I going to be forced to pull apart the dash to find it printed on the module itself?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
So do you want it to be keyless, because there is NO keyless for the MK3. the security module can be bypassed to make the car run again.

go aftermarket. there are hundreds of good stuff to go with that will blow any OEM stuff for this car away. your dealing with nearly 30 year old electrical components.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So do you want it to be keyless, because there is NO keyless for the MK3. the security module can be bypassed to make the car run again.

go aftermarket. there are hundreds of good stuff to go with that will blow any OEM stuff for this car away. your dealing with nearly 30 year old electrical components.
I'm not interested in sodering or hacking into the wire harness to install an Aftermarket keyless entry module. there are easier and less intrusive ways to do this. Thank you for your recommendations, but I will forgo that entirely if I must. Either it is going to be OEM, or nothing. Please take your business somewhere else Loligagger.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
newbs,
good luck
let us know how the search goes
protip, it's going to be $$$$$ and long time for you to sort out a 30 year old part that still works.
i'm not forcing you to read,

·
Registered
48,036 Posts
Well I tried contacting the Dealer for the FCC ID, but they weren't able to pull it up from the VIN. Would an advanced OBD scanner be able to address the FCC ID? Or am I going to be forced to pull apart the dash to find it printed on the module itself?
You need to read it off the box itself. The dash doesn't have to come apart. You can get to the module by removing the driver knee cover, and on top of the kneebar, behind the headlight switch, is a bracket that holds the alarm and CC modules. Undo the nut form the bottom, and then the modules should drop down. Read the FCC ID on the plastic box. Also, what color and part number is it?

So do you want it to be keyless, because there is NO keyless for the MK3.
There are at least 3 different keyless entry modules that came stock in Mk3s, using the Banjo remote.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not interested in sodering or hacking into the wire harness to install an Aftermarket keyless entry module. there are easier and less intrusive ways to do this. Thank you for your recommendations, but I will forgo that entirely if I must. Either it is going to be OEM, or nothing. Please take your business somewhere else Loligagger.
MK3 keyless module from 98 Golf or Jetta
1EM 937 045
I have one, $50 obo

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you have a Mk3.5, you already have a keyless module above the fuse box. You don’t need another one. You just need a banjo remote, FCC ID M3GHU01WT. But you need the driver’s door lock in working condition and two keys in order to program the remote.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts