VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 Rabbit with the 1.6 NA Diesel & 5 Speed that I would like to have swapped for the 1.8T, 02 transmission (J or M?) , axles etc. If anyone here does this kind of work & would like to offer an idea of what it would cost or if you can recommend shop that will. Thanks.

·
Registered
23,511 Posts
It'll cost double signs whatever you think is a lot. Then another half of that to truly get it sorted if you decide to start pincjing pennies here and there.

Do the research, write it all down and spread sheet it. I mean everything. Pricing, where plus a back source up for parts, components, shops etc. Everything with a back up. Lay out a time frame. Gather as much prior to starting. Get body straight first or you'll kick yourself in the ass in 5-6 years when you have to pretty much re-do everything because of chassis issues.

Get opinions on set up and the useage of that setup environmentally and for how long they have been doing it, etc

Also, wrong forum. Ask in the socal thread or on Facebook(which will be filed with idiots) groups in the area.

Again, double what you might think, plus 20% of that.

..:::pic for reference. 250k+ miles, 13 years, 500whp, daily for 8+years. 100+ track days, races. Driven all over the continental US and Hawaii::..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I found someone local on Facebook who says he can do the swap & when I asked for an estimate as to what he would charge for labor he said $3000 or more (Reasonable price?) That's with me supplying a working donor car, & whatever other parts needed (What 1.8T donor car is going to be easy to find, inexpensive & make for an easy swap? I've heard debates about which car is best to use as a donor). I don't have the money to move forward with it at the moment but happy to have hopefully found someone to do the work when I am. As of now the car needs CV Joints/Axles, Wheel Bearings, Hubs, & Tie Rods. I'm not sure but feel like I can probably do that myself, local shop quoted me $1500 parts & labor to do it, was thinking to hold off have it done along with the engine swap but I'm wondering if there's any reason to as it may take a couple months before I'm able to afford to do the engine swap. Will I be using the same Axles etc with a 1.8T & 5 Speed as came stock on a 1983 Rabbit Diesel with the 5 speed? I'm assuming I'll be swapping the transmission along with the engine & don't want to put a bunch of money & effort into installing parts that I won't be able to use in a few months. Also wondering if there's a specific Axel/CV that's recommend as I see there's a couple options for manufactures, same with Wheel Bearings are any better than the others?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.