VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving from NYC to Key West this week. Looking for cool things to see on my way down.
Also , will be stopping in Savannah Georgia on Saturday, anyone know of any clean, cheap hotels and a good Restaurant for eats?
Also if anyone knows of specific radar traps on I95 from NYC to Key West - Please share

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Re: looking for Road trip advice: NYC to KeyWest (muffinman)

oh I'm way jealous. I almost did that with my (then) bf last year from Boston. I heard it's a long a*s drive...and once you get to Florida you think "yay I'm here!!" but it's really just begun....lol

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote, originally posted by muffinman »
I am driving from NYC to Key West this week. Looking for cool things to see on my way down.
Also , will be stopping in Savannah Georgia on Saturday, anyone know of any clean, cheap hotels and a good Restaurant for eats?
Also if anyone knows of specific radar traps on I95 from NYC to Key West - Please share

Whoa, pretty creepy but:
I'm from Oceanside, LI also. I drove from NYC to Miami Beach (close enough to the keys) 3 months ago. The one stop my buddy and I made was in Savannah Georgia. And we got pulled over in a radar trap.

So, all that being said, it's a rough road trip. I95 is dead straight and can get a bit boring. A Valentine 1 is pretty much required. You can average ~85mph without too much concern, but just be aware of your surroundings. The speed limit jumps to 70 I believe through some of the states, so it's not too bad.
I'm not sure if you wanted to spend the day in Savannah but we just needed a place to crash and a bite to eat. We chose one of those generic Comfort Inn/Travel Lodge style places and 'The Waffle House' was our fine dining establishment.
Anyway, worst part of the trip is when you cross into the state of Florida. Why? b/c you think you've finally made it, then you quickly realize you have another ~8 hours of driving to go all the way to the southern tip of FL.
Enjoy your trip http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by bugatti212 at 4:56 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
2006 Lexus GS300, 2011 Nissan Leaf
36,950 Posts

Looking for cool things to see on my way down.

South of the Border!

My personal favorite:

Modified by Patrick Arena at 11:02 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
8,656 Posts

There are two big ones. One's South Carolina, another is Georgia.

Buy or borrow a decent radar detector and invest in a car bra or something similar to protect the front end. Thousands of bugs you'll splatter on your way will eat through the paint.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Re: looking for Road trip advice: NYC to KeyWest (Y2kSI)

Take the turnpike in Fl. when you get the chance. It costs a few bucks, but it saves a little time because of less traffic. It also runs right into the road for the Keys.
Once you're south of Miami you're going to think you're almost there. Actually you have 3-4 more hours just through the Keys. A lot of the roads are 35 MPH down there. At least most of the drive is on bridges over the beautiful blue water. If you time it right, you should try to catch a sunrise or sunset on the drive. The traffic is lighter and it's one of the most beautiful sights ever.
While in the keys be sure to eat at Blue Heaven. You can sit outside at a casual gourmet eatery with chickens running around and the food is great too.
If you like BBQ, try Meteor in Key West. Some of the best ribs and chicken ever. It's right next door to the Green Parot, the southern most bar in the continental US.
I recommend going night fishing while in the Keys if you like fishing at all. They usually leave just before sunset (free sunset cruise:)) and head out about 10 miles. Once the sun is down they cut the engines and let you fish until about 11 at night. The time I went the water absolutely still, the sky was huge with a billion stars and we caught tons of yellow tail, reds and grouper. A friend even got fight a shark for a while. Bring your own beer and sandwiches.
You absolutely have to go snorkling or diving. Might want to think about a trip to the Tortugas, I've heard it's amazing, but haven't made it over there yet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: looking for Road trip advice: NYC to KeyWest (Y2kSI)

There's always a lot of cops parked in the grass looking for ya between Jacksonville and Daytona...
-Ryan

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Re: looking for Road trip advice: NYC to KeyWest (Patrick Arena)

I'm from Lawrence LI and used to drive down to Boca once a month. I've gotten such a routine to where I'd stop at the same gas stations, and get the same average trip time. 19:06. I've done it in under 18 hours before but it's not worth pushing it. only on a rare occasion would i stop so i really don't have any advice on hotels.
ok, let's see. Bring your EZ pass - it will work all the way down to Delaware.

Bring CD, MP3 player, XM, something because you'll be pulling your hair out trying to find a radio station that isn't some fuzzy hick country crap singing about pancakes and sausage and stealing pickup trucks from ex-wives (no offense to anyone).
Jersey turnpike has speed traps on the overpasses.
you're gonna want to time yourself so that you don't hit rush hour traffic in certain areas. figure that DC is five hours out so you want to guage your departure time so that yo avoid that miserable DC traffic. This makes the 59th street bridge the day of the Thanksgiving day parade seem like a sprint on the autobahn.
DO NOT Speed in Virginia - when they see NY plates in the south state troopers flip on the "get the damn Yankee" switch. i found that they were much more lenient when i had FL plates.
South of the border is pretty cool but a tourist trap ->expensive, crappy food, pet pit stop area (fenced in lawn evenly decorated with doggy biscuits).
FOLLOW YOUR ROAD SIGNS IN DC!!!! i can't stress that enough. if you don't pay attention for one second you'll be heading west on some similar looking interstate half way to Arizona.
don't get excited once you get to the Florida border. you have at least 7 - 9 hours to go. once in FL you'll be coming up on Jacksonville in approx fifteen minutes. again, you will have to be "re-routed" and take exits to follow I-95 south.
i hope this helps, i'll give it some more thought and add some more.
Safe Trip.
J

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
delaware is pretty bad in terms of speed, but i'm sure you probably knew that. i live in VA and they have cops all over so watch out.
have fun reading all 5000 of the south of the border billboards off 95 through the 200miles of south carolina. and the SC hwys aren't that great. neither is the scenery.
GA is a great state and starts looking like FL. savannah is an awesome city. walk around downtown at night.
HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Re: looking for Road trip advice: NYC to KeyWest (Maflagulator)

yeah all of what maf said. damn pretty thorough.
ive spent my life every winter and summer up until i was 17 driving (mostly being driven) from detroit to key west where my folks bought a house in the late 70's.

ohio in general wants to give out tickets like its the plague. so REALLY try not to speed. even your V1 cant save you there.

music, comedy cd's, whatever cause its static and REALLY bad country, if thats not too redundant.

its a painfully long drive. especially in florida, thats a whole day drive alone from jacksonville to the keys.

once you hit the first key, you've got another 3 to 4 hours til key west. but the drive is pretty nice. salty air, water on both sides, and the seven mile bridge (literally 7 miles, it was in true lies with the limo and the chopper...anyway) passing is a real pain though once you hit the keys. one lane going each way with the occasional option to pass. careful cause they will bust you for crossing a double yellow. and people LOVE driving slow, mostly in campers or towing something huge. so be prepared to get a little annoyed.
thats all i can think of...when you get there, hot the beaches and cuban deli's. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by meatwad79 at 6:01 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
I would suggest paying something like $11 in tolls to hit the huge bridge-tunnel going from the Maryland Eastern Shore to Virginia Beach.
You will not have to put up with DC traffic.
After the bridge-tunnel you make your way back to I-95

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Hit up Deal's Gap in Tennessee. The Tail of the Dragon is purported to be one of the best roads in the country, though I would think that's due in part to the insane amount of attention it gets from car clubs who go there.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
37,195 Posts
Re: (Prelusion98)

A buddy and I are delivering his car from Hanover, NH to Sarasota over Memorial Day weekend!
Hitting Philly one night, Wake Forwest the next. Should be about 3 8 hour days, give or take.

·
Registered
2006 Lexus GS300, 2011 Nissan Leaf
36,950 Posts
Re: looking for Road trip advice: NYC to KeyWest (meatwad79)

Quote, originally posted by meatwad79 »

ohio in general wants to give out tickets like its the plague. so REALLY try not to speed. even your V1 cant save you there.

Not tryin' to razz ya, and I definitely agree with you about Ohio handing out tickets, but Ohio isn't really "on the way" from NY to FLA. Or did I not get the memo?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Re: looking for Road trip advice: NYC to KeyWest (Patrick Arena)

Quote, originally posted by Patrick Arena »

Not tryin' to razz ya, and I definitely agree with you about Ohio handing out tickets, but Ohio isn't really "on the way" from NY to FLA. Or did I not get the memo?

doh, i was thinking the turnpike.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts

Well if you are at all into art, go check out the Dali meuseum. Its in Tampa, but worth the little out of the way if you like Dali. It is the largest Dali Exibit in the world, IIRC.
Check out ST Augustine, pretty cool little place. Awesome forts.
Try postin up in the S.E. forum and see if anyone else has any other suggestions.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts

Do NOT take the I-295 bypass around Jacksonville. Stay on I-95.
FHP does seem to be more active on 95 than on the Turnpike, but I'm not sure it would save you much time. If it were me, I'd just stay on I-95 the whole way.
I also have to put in the obligatory plug for NASA John F. Kennedy Space Center, about 20 minutes east of I-95. Follow the signs -- you can't miss it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
When you get south of Stuart, driving habits, traffic density, and average speed will change drastically. You will go from "grandma & grandpa style" to "riced out Civics weaving insanely in & out of traffic at 95+". Once you get into Palm Beach County it's like being in Mad Max or something.
Enjoy the Keys. If you want to camp & fish and avoid the crowds, stop off for a night at the national park at Bahia Honda Key.
Eat lots of conch fritters.

Go to Hog's Breath.

Catch the sunset.

·
Registered
2005 S2000, 2019 G70 6MT, 2019 i3 REX, 2003 XC70
16,727 Posts
I have done the same drive and I echo what others have said. You basically can't speed in GA or VA, especially with NY tags.
Don't get excited when you see "Welcome to Florida" signs...you're not even close.
I would think satellite radio is basically a necessity. I have Sirius and I love it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-Nick

1 - 20 of 27 Posts