VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - brand new to the forum, looks like the place to be for Volkswagen info.
I did some searching and some browsing around the Golf IV and Passat forums, and I'm already picking up a lot.
I'm coming off an older Mercedes diesel which I love, but it looks like its at the end of it's run.
Consequenty, I've been driving my sister's 99 Cabrio and I have to admit Im enjoying it. I dont really like being a guy driving a Cabrio, but it is a fun little car. Good economy and comfortable enough to ride in, not too big but a roomy interior none the less.
I think I want my next car to be a VW. I don't particularly like the Jetta, (no offense to anyone, its just not me,) so I am thinking either a Golf or a Passat. I will be going to school at the University of Maine in the fall, therefore I will be making a few trips between home in Southern NH and school. I am thinking the Golf would be great as far as gas mileage and versatility (lugging stuff back and forth with the hatch), but at the same time the Passat seems like a better transition coming off a the Mercedes I have. (1993 300D)
I did some searching and I know that the timing belt is going to be something to watch, but anything else?
What should I be looking for as I begin my search for a VW?
How many miles can I get out of a Golf/Passat engine/transmission (assuming maitenance and such are taken care of)
Performance is not that big of a deal, as coming off a Diesel engine pretty much anything will seem fast and I'm not into the boy-racer scene. If it's as quick as the Cabrio, (im pretty sure it has the base 2.0 litre 4 cyl,) I'll be happy.
I noticed prices on 99+ Golf's to be around $6k-$9k for mileage anywhere between 60k and 120k. Typical? Good? Bad? HOw many miles will I get?
Any input and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys and great forum.

Sam

Modified by HomeRunPark at 8:06 AM 7-23-2005

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: Looking for some advice about first VW purchase. (HomeRunPark)

Quote, originally posted by HomeRunPark »
I am thinking the Golf would be great as far as gas mileage and versatility (lugging stuff back and forth with the hatch),

Golfs are actually not that fuel efficient unless you get the diesel engine (TDI engine available from 1999 to current). See http://www.fueleconomy.gov . However, the diesels have higher resale value (more expensive for the used car buyer).
Quote »

I noticed prices on 99+ Golf's to be around $6k-$9k for mileage anywhere between 60k and 120k. Typical? Good? Bad? HOw many miles will I get?

Note that 1999 had both the old (a3 platform, same as the Cabrio) and new (a4 platform, same as current Golf in the US) Golfs. With a used car, previous owner use, care, and maintenance are major factors in determining how long the car will last; inspect the car and its service records carefully before buying. I've read that in some rural northeastern areas, some car dealers buy used NYC cars at auction, fix the scratches and dings, and sell them as "low mileage" cars... such cars may truthfully be low mileage, but it is all severe service city mileage.

·
Registered
942 Posts

Find out about the dealer - can make or break any car purchase.
http://1.8t.org/dealers/
I have owned a lot of cars, trucks & vans - VW is a blast to drive in any version. I have a Golf and a Passat. In Northern Ohio where they get a little snow, people love their 4-Motion Passats - you might try one or ask your Mainer friends.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

you have to remember that the amount of milage you get our of a car is based solely on how you take car of the car (excluding accidents and acts of god). my dad works at a stealership, and ive seen cars with only like 40k or less miles that have never been in for an oil change. Yet my 92 jetta has been well taken car of and it has 266,000 miles on the it.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
If your main concern is fuel efficiency, I would invest the extra $$$ and get the Golf TDI. Spend the extra cash to burn used cooking oil (aka biodiesel) and it will more than pay for itself in no time, especially if you drive a lot of freeway miles.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

VW is really problematic on reliability, with legendary electrical/computer problems. That said I have had 3 New Beetles with absolutely no problems other than some cosmetic materials problems. I don't think VW is really viable anymore. The 2.0 engine gets lousy gas mileage, relatively speaking. The TDI is great, and the 1.8T is great. My understanding & experience (7 time VW owner) is that the 1999 to 2001 model years are the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.