VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello long story short I have to buy a new car, my old one is on its way out 10k ago.
I don't use my car to get to work and back, I have a vehicle provided to me by my employer. I live Quebec we have winters here and use road salt.
I used to love my mk1 and I wondering if was a good time to buy, and maybe rejoin the family. I'm in Montreal and I want a golf r 2016 and up, I would like to know should I wait it out.
dose anyone know if the Msrp changed from the 2016 to 2019 models.
quite a price difference locally around 10k and 80 clicks.
also and problems, models, equipment, I should look for?
what I was interested in is a 2016 dsg no sun roof. around 26 to 28 k

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is a super loaded question - I think the only thing forums members will agree upon is that the Mk7 is a great car. That's not to say you won't get good info, it might just not be as clean cut as you might have wanted.

Having said that, i'm also up here in Canadian winters and use my car mostly for pleasure. As long as you clean it somewhat often road salt should not be a huge issue - although this generation is ultimately too new to set in stone if any specific area(s) are rust prone - although with the undercoating and VW track record i'd say it is above average.

I'm in the west and prices for the Mk7 seem to be unchanged - although their aren't as many of them. You might have more of an issue if you want a 7.5 as they are harder to find and still pricey.

I can't speak to any issues to look for as i'm still somewhat of a new owner myself.

Lastly, I don't think they ever made a Mk7 with a sunroof for the NA.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
from a cost perspective, it's probably THE worst time to be shopping for a MK7/7.5 golf R. if you peruse the used car market, prices for these things are higher then they have ever been, even for the older models if you want to count MK6.

shark -

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
from a cost perspective, it's probably THE worst time to be shopping for a MK7/7.5 golf R. if you peruse the used car market, prices for these things are higher then the have ever been, even for the older models if you want to count MK6.

shark -
True for the US, not sure for Canada.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for the late reply. why is the mark 7.5 more pricey the 7 speed?
that's why I asked the question if the MRSP had increased I doubt it but I'm unaware.
did they produce less of them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
from a cost perspective, it's probably THE worst time to be shopping for a MK7/7.5 golf R. if you peruse the used car market, prices for these things are higher then they have ever been, even for the older models if you want to count MK6.

shark -
The worst time to be shopping for a car is right now lol. Just pain.

·
Registered
129 Posts
from what i have seen prices of everything is going up. used car prices are too. im talking from the US point of view.

lotsa reasons why prices are the way it is.

so to answer your question, now is not the time to buy anything. but if you need to, you might just want to spend the extra and buy new with the best low price & interest rate possible. you would get a better chance with a new carl.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the trigger two days ago on a 2016 66k at 28 thousand. all the clean ones are leaving dealerships within a week.
now i'm looking into winter tires and rims also take it on a road trip, around @2000km and back.
im picking up on Monday and i'll be posting pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts