Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, just got this 1989 Jetta Diesel about 2weeks ago
got it for $400 off a family member
its a decent car, awesome MPG!
ive always loved a lowered VW
im on a budget, ride quality doesnt matter, cheaper the better
any tips or brand suggestions please!
ive really tought about just cutting the springs lol
ik its stupid but hey, it will get the job done right?
anyone got pics of cut spring jettas?
pics of slammed cars with the susp. details will help me too
thanks for all the help guys :)
Its nice to be part of the VW club :beer:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Poeple on here will tell you not to, but cut them up. You might not even notice the differance.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
im on a budget, ride quality doesnt matter, cheaper the better
When the only car you've got to drive is on cut springs and almost blown, or soon to blow struts, you'll realize that saving up a few hundred for a proper setup maybe wasn't such a bad idea.

You're not the first teenager on here with a MK2 with dreams of lowering it. Read up, and follow from the mistakes that others made.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luckly its not my ownly vehicle lol, bought it for fun
cutting is not the way i wanna go, but really wanna get as low as possible with few $$$$ in it
i looked at the rokkors, what kind of drop will i get out of those?
any pics of cars with the rokkors on em?
and the FK springs, what kind of drop will those give?

·
Registered
906 Posts
dont cut your springs, if you plan on lowering it go with racelands, cheep,great low, and you will have resale value in your car, compared to cut springs. and this is a safer alternative, and most of the dubs you see low are on coilovers.:thumbup:

·
Registered
807 Posts
i think heating springs is better than cutting:rolleyes: it just shrinks the spring together and makes them stiffer, less chance of bottoming out the struts. i really wouldnt recommend either though:facepalm: definitely go with coils and make sure to get a proper alignment!:thumbup:

·
Registered
105 Posts
doesntmatter what anyone says on here or you wouldnt have asked.

just cut them and then hate the car, then sell it to someone who needs the car (either for parts or project) for next to nothing..... this is how alot of us got our cars.... you could also just take the springs out and ride on bumpstops........ that is even cheaper then cutting, no need to waste a cutting disc on this project.

Thanks Kids :wave:

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
dont cut your springs, if you plan on lowering it go with racelands, cheep,great low, and you will have resale value in your car, compared to cut springs. and this is a safer alternative, and most of the dubs you see low are on coilovers.:thumbup:
ROTFLMAO!!! Resale value for cheap Chinese coilovers compared to cut springs is roughly half the cost of the coils so it's another $100 in "value". That is assuming that the coils are in good shape and less than a week old. After that time period, cheap Chinese coils are a write-off.

To the OP - I have a set of Bilstein Sports that are already blown. If you go the cut-springs route, you'll want these because they're designed to go lower than stock height. That and the shocks are already blown so you wan't have to pay for a good set of shocks only to destroy them with super-short springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.