VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Looking for some information/opinions - Oettinger

932 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  B1-16V 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All -
First time in the forum - bounced over from the Mk1 group. please be gentle.....

Oettinger....

I have been restoring a Mk1 Rabbit. About 6 months ago I finished up the body work. When stripping out the interior to get it ready for paint I found a very brittle Oettinger foil decal under the rear seat (along with about 5 bucks in random change and several things that I think were french fries at one point). Didn't think much about it, as the 16v in the car did not have the well known head and intake.

Here is where I need your insight - the sticker has my block number on it (031-947). I did some research and found out that Oettinger also did tuning on Mk2 cars. I don't know if these cars were sold through VW dealerships over seas, or were simply just cars that the owners brought to them for upgrades, like a Techtonics, etc.
The previous owner did tell me the car had a lumpier idle due to the cams. I had the intake manifold off the car to replace the injector cups and did notice it had been ported and smoothed out (not necessarily polished). Interestingly, it is not (was not) the manifold with the larger runners. Unfortunately the PO did not do the motor swap and had zero information.

I have reached out to Oettinger to see what I have here - if anything at all. The person that has the knowledge no longer works there, but Jutta Volkner said they will reach out to him once the covid quarantine lets up.

Do any of you have any knowledge of Oettinger tuned VW motors?

The car was located in the Pacific Northwest for a very long time - it is a 1980 with a round headlight conversion. It was originally yellow running a US GTI black front airdam. It was then sold and a tan wrap was put on it, just in case anyone is familiar with it. As an FYI, the decal is more engraved than printed - the letters are sort of raised.

I am not holding my breath either way - however the information hunt has been interesting/fun.

Thanks a million -
Scott S

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.