VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am in the process of upgrading the factory stereo in my 2006 TDI Beetle. It comes equipped with the Monsoon system, but the one with the SiriusXM feature.

I just replaced the antenna - the old one was broken - and discovered that the unit has 3 different wires coming from it. One was a thick black wire with smaller than standard coax connectors on it. This was some form of push/pull to unlock setup. The other two wires were much thinner and yellow colored. They ended in tiny gold coax connectors, which appear to be standard size for an XM radio. They used to have plastic snap connectors on them, but the plastic crumbled away into dust as soon as I touched it. Sigh. Everything was re-connected, and I was forced into using electrical tape to hold those two tiny connectors in place.

Now, last night, I struggled a bit and managed to get the head unit pulled out. Well, what a shock. There's no XM radio antenna to be seen anywhere! It's just a single coax connector. Where did those tiny wires get to? Is there some sort of multiplexer that injected the XM signals into/over the standard FM antenna wire?

I'm looking for any information, since I would like to re-use that antenna and not have to run the XM "external" antenna that has a dangle wire from it (that you need to snake in through window or door trim.

Any useful advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

j

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
314 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I bet the XM tuner is incorporated in the Head unit itself.
Can you post some photos of your head unit backside?

Typically, if you install a Sirius XM - ready aftermarket unit, then you have to buy a new tuner (the SXV300V1). Depending on what head unit you purchase, some places (Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix) might include the tuner for free or offer it at a reduced/discounted price.
Someone might know differently (please correct me), but I'm afraid there's no going around the "no external antenna that has a dangle wire from it".

·
Registered
2008 Jetta Wolfsburg, 2009 CC Lux, 2017 CC R-Line
116 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I bet the XM tuner is incorporated in the Head unit itself.
Can you post some photos of your head unit backside?

Typically, if you install a Sirius XM - ready aftermarket unit, then you have to buy a new tuner (the SXV300V1). Depending on what head unit you purchase, some places (Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix) might include the tuner for free or offer it at a reduced/discounted price.
Someone might know differently (please correct me), but I'm afraid there's no going around the "no external antenna that has a dangle wire from it".
@JeffUIT, can you confirm via your owner's manual that this tuner includes SXM, or is it just "SiriusXM Ready"?

As @ChefroA6 said, it would be most helpful if you could post pics of the radio... front, labels, and rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@JeffUIT, can you confirm via your owner's manual that this tuner includes SXM, or is it just "SiriusXM Ready"?

As @ChefroA6 said, it would be most helpful if you could post pics of the radio... front, labels, and rear.
The receiver had XM - it played the "Welcome But You Need To Activate" station each time you hit the SAT button on the face. Sadly, there was no owners manual to consult. And there was no additional ports on the tuner itself to accept extra connections. It had only the one antenna, the black, brown and tri-color plugs. The new Kenwood head unit has the circular DIN plug for the SXM add on receiver, which I have :)

I ended up using the magnetic antenna, but mounting it inside, at the base of the dashboard. Call it a surrender in this case. Sigh.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It sounds as the OEM unit indeed had the tuner built-in and acquiring signal happens over-the-air via the regular antenna.
It makes sense for the aftermarket units to "require" an extra/stand alone tuner...it brings them more revenue...I'm glad you sorted it out.
If it works, then having the antenna inside is not a big hindrance. However, if you think of relocating it, then here's something helpful I came across the other day and was thinking to the XM guys who asked Qs on the forum.
Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad you sorted it out.
I never didn't have it sorted out, so to speak. I knew that the new radio needed the extra XM tuner module. What I was trying to do was figure out the three wires that come through the roof from the factory antenna, and then discover what happens to two of them (the pair that looks like it's the factory Sirius antenna) before it hits the back of the receiver.

It seems, to my limited understanding of VWs so far, that the factory XM install was a rare thing, and that most have not seen either the tuner or the associated antenna. It also further reinforces to me that a picture can take the place of a thousand words, so I would have done better with a graphic in my initial post. I'll get better at this.:D

·
Registered
314 Posts
My only guess is that the two extra wires were "power" and "ground" for the amplification of the antenna.
You already said that there were "no extra ports" on the back of the OEM unit, although you keep thinking that the "pair looks like it's the factory Sirius antenna".
You can't have a separate antenna if you don't have a dedicated port for it. It is logical.

Sorry for any unintended inference that you didn't have it sorted out. By mentioning the installation of the magnetic antenna inside the dashboard I presumed you completed the install. I apologize for the mistake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts