VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking into making a custom cold air intake, questions

what size is the piping used on most aftermarket cold air intakes? im thinking its roughly 2 1/2 to 3 inch?

Modified by volksrabbits-r-us at 2:06 AM 10-25-2005

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: looking into making a cusgon cold air intake, questions (volksrabbits-r-us)

i have all the measurments if you want them..
and 4 inch is too big

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: looking into making a cusgon cold air intake, questions (HarvVAG)

let me dig thru the 1000000 photos of the engine and ill find them

·
Registered
462 Posts

Well if 4" is too big for ones on the market, I might consider going as large as you can since you are going custom. The larger the diameter, especially over a long distance, the better the flow will be.

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: looking into making a cusgon cold air intake, questions (jcm15)

well i think the problem with 4 inch is that the turbo inlet pipe and turbo can only suck in as much air as it can handle..but lemme find those pics for you

·
Registered
19,732 Posts

this was the best i could do..and the pics were takin before the new camera.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Re: (jcm15)

hehehe.. ok no offense guys, but four inches is very much un-needed.
The flow diameter on any air flow pipe determines the velocity that the air is traveling. So, per say, you are flowing x amount of air, if you use a 3" inch pipe then it travels at a certain velocity. If you increase the inlet pipe diameter to say, four inches, you are indeed "un-restricting" the flow, but you are also slowing it down quite a bit.
Bottom line is, the faster your flow velocity is when it reaches the combustion chamber, the more combustion you are going to make (hammer effect). So, there is a thin line between too small of an intake and too large of one. If you go to small, you will have a high velocity with low flow; and if you go to large you will have a low velocity with high flow. (I would post the formulas to prove this but I'm to F'n lazy).
Long story short. Don't go any bigger than 3" unless you are pushing over 700 hp..
A well designed 1.5" intake can afford more power than a poorly designed 3-4"..

·
Registered
462 Posts
Re: (A4_For_Baby)

i stand corrected. i thought i was reading somewhere (maybe the 1.8T forum, which is filled with garbage more and more) that a larger diameter was needed. i guess it is not the same as dust collection hose diameter and shop-vac hose diameter (sorry, i am a tool person more than a car person)... as the diameter increases, so does the CFM and static pressure loss goes down, in other words, increasing volume and reducing restriction. but that is a system that is actually "sucking" air, not simply flowing it in. makes sense i guess...

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Re: (jcm15)

dudes...i have the answer....but though shalt wait for thy answer...
thine must be looketh for a hint to thy wonder?
it lies within thy stocketh air boxeth

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: looking into making a custom cold air intake, questions (volksrabbits-r-us)

im impressed, there arent many ball busters on here are there? noone ripped up my "cusgon" intake, haha

·
Registered
462 Posts
Re: looking into making a custom cold air intake, questions (volksrabbits-r-us)

Quote, originally posted by volksrabbits-r-us »
im impressed, there arent many ball busters on here are there? noone ripped up my "cusgon" intake, haha

Yeah, not all of us will rip on you for such a mistake, if it indeed was a mistake. if you were around about a month ago or so when there was a string of posts with crazy spellings of certain words. those people got it good, though.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Re: looking into making a custom cold air intake, questions (jcm15)

yep 3" is more than enough, thats what I used on my k03, k04..heres my intake system I use today

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: looking into making a custom cold air intake, questions (AudiRs2Porsche)

thats about as direct as you can get.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: looking into making a custom cold air intake, questions (AudiRs2Porsche)

Quote, originally posted by AudiRs2Porsche »
but how does that work without a maf

you dont need one with a gt28rs..i believe it has something to do with the programming?..but im not the one to talk..i dont have it on my car

1 - 20 of 29 Posts