VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been looking into getting me self a mk1 cabrio and was wondering if there is anything to know that would be important. As well does anyone know if insurance would be high or low on one of these

Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
25,267 Posts
I don't know anything about Canadian insurance so I can't help you there.

We have had our '88 Cabriolet for 4 years now and it has been the most trouble free older VW I have ever owned. The 8v is one of the more reliable motors (imo) VW ever made.

I guess I'd want to make sure the top is properly fitted and has no rips or holes. Also rust of course.

The Cabby is also the most fun vehicle we have if the weather is right (like right now). It is like therapy for my soul to throw the top down and go out driving on some back roads on a nice dry day.

·
Registered
269 Posts
First thing to know is that depending on the laws in your Province, you may need extra paper work for the purchase. I live in Quebec and any car 25 years and older needs an market value evaluation from a "dealership" type of business. These usually cost around 150$. This can be done by ANYONE who has a DEALERSHIP / or license to sell cars because they want to tax you (LOL) at the transportation office.

My insurance is..... I think... 170$ for the year, although largely dependent on your province. Although i've been meaning to follow up on that with my insurer, as the car is getting older and more expensive on the market.

I think trying to get a digi 8v may be worth the trouble (1990-1993), the <89' have a CIS injection, which may require more attention.

Everything aside, THE MOST important factor about this purchase would be to check the car for rust properly. You could basically be forced to scrap the car if you find rust in a bad spot. Get yourself a good inspection done. Floor pans, lower windshield rustouts, rear axle area rust, front table areas, shock towers (x4) would be worth being especially picky with, as they can cost a lot in labor/be a much more difficult tasks to repair. The Goal is the BODY and the INTERIOR. Mechanical is down at the bottom, as those things can be repaired with parts, a lot of body work and just interior bits and things can be quite costly in comparison to mechanical aspects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.