VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a MKIV or MKV, which motor do you recommend for a daily driver? I have a MKIV Jetta VR6 which I'm selling (Like the hatchback better) just wondering if that's what I should look for in the new one as well. It will be a manual trans for sure. Any feedback would be appreciated!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 1.8t A4 Avant and a VR6 Mk4. If you want fun out of the box and like having money stick with a Vr6. If you have massive kahunas and an even bigger wallet, dive into the 1.8T world of tuning. I love my cars but as for daily, not having to worry about an old turbo or air leaks and intercoolers is more fun. But that's just me. My fellow Turbros might think

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the input!

I have a 1.8t A4 Avant and a VR6 Mk4. If you want fun out of the box and like having money stick with a Vr6. If you have massive kahunas and an even bigger wallet, dive into the 1.8T world of tuning. I love my cars but as for daily, not having to worry about an old turbo or air leaks and intercoolers is more fun. But that's just me. My fellow Turbros might think

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing, no turbo to worry about, no AWD to worry about. Just more stuff to break!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was facing the same decision a few months ago, decided to go with the VR6.

It was a tough decision that I waffled over for awhile prior to picking up my MKIV VR6 GTI. As much as I missed the sound and the slingshot power delivery of a turbo engine (I daily drove a turbo S2000 years ago), I didn't miss some of the headaches that are particular to turbo motors, and I think my modding days are behind me anyway.

I have had the car a few months now and really enjoy the torque that is available throughout the rev range in every gear. Previous owner installed a Magnaflow exhaust on it and it sounds great as well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
After driving my girlfriend's mk6 gti and a friends 1.8t gli, I've come to a conclusion. Owning a N/A vr6 is a little lack luster. Sure make the gas pedal kiss the floor and listen to the beautiful noise of the vr6 engine and watch the speedometer steadily climb. But its just not as fun as something with a turbo in my opinion. For now I get my turbo fix from my girlfriends mk6, but man would I love to buy another mk4 just with a 1.8t. Another thing that I've noticed is that dollar per HP for modding the 1.8t is a lot better. From a stock vr6 you can only really do the basics, CAI, exhaust, maybe a set of cams, and thats about it. Tunes for N/A cars I feel are a too costly for the amount of power they offer. So from stock you're talking a measly 20-30 hp gain, where a simple tune can do near the same with a 1.8t. In the vr6's defense though, I'll always own one just for the noise it makes. :heart:

·
Registered
157 Posts
After driving my girlfriend's mk6 gti and a friends 1.8t gli, I've come to a conclusion. Owning a N/A vr6 is a little lack luster. Sure make the gas pedal kiss the floor and listen to the beautiful noise of the vr6 engine and watch the speedometer steadily climb. But its just not as fun as something with a turbo in my opinion. For now I get my turbo fix from my girlfriends mk6, but man would I love to buy another mk4 just with a 1.8t. Another thing that I've noticed is that dollar per HP for modding the 1.8t is a lot better. From a stock vr6 you can only really do the basics, CAI, exhaust, maybe a set of cams, and thats about it. Tunes for N/A cars I feel are a too costly for the amount of power they offer. So from stock you're talking a measly 20-30 hp gain, where a simple tune can do near the same with a 1.8t. In the vr6's defense though, I'll always own one just for the noise it makes. :heart:
Just to chime in after the fact. Is say 24v VR6 ALL DAY. I own a 1.8T and its a MASSIVE MONEY PIT and its not even BT or anything. Just making this thing reliable and running is costly. Can't afford to go BT lol. Sounds alright but honestly i drove a 24v recently and just wow. With the money i spent on my 1.8T You can rejuvenate it like new basically and still save money lol. I'd love to trade my 1.8T for a VR6, it'd have to be PRISTINE though lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As a DD I have a completely stock 1.8T that I love. Although, Coming from a 1.8T owner, I say VR6 just because theres less to worry about (I.E. Timing Belts, water pumps etc.), But dont get me wrong I love my 1.8T and probably will never get rid of it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
As a DD I have a completely stock 1.8T that I love. Although, Coming from a 1.8T owner, I say VR6 just because theres less to worry about (I.E. Timing Belts, water pumps etc.), But dont get me wrong I love my 1.8T and probably will never get rid of it.
I wouldn't say that. The vr6 you still have timing chains, the coil pack, I'm on my 3 power steering pump in 3 years but maybe that's a coincidence, my motor has also gone through 3 or 4 belt tensioners now. Technically yes, less mechanical parts to worry about, but I wouldn't say a whole lot less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.