VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I'm starting to research for my next car. I currently have an '83 Porsche 944. I've had it for well over two years and now is the time to get something more practical. I need something that I won't have to worry about putting a lot of money into it and is fun to drive. I've started looking around and the Passat VR6 is on the list. I think I am looking for a '95 to '97 model year.
Are the VR6's reliable for this year?
What can you tell me about these cars?
What should I be looking to pay?
How many miles can these things go?
Thanks for all the help.
If anyone wants to IM me to talk about this go for it: No 1 Hustller

·
Registered
27,893 Posts
Re: Looking to buy (stray15)

I'll be selling one soon, if you're interested.
I guess you wanta 5-speed, though? The one I'm selling is an automatic.
They're great cars. I went from an '87 GTI 16V to a '97 5-speed GLX wagon. A friend went from an '83 GTI to a 5-speed '96 GLX wagon. We both commented that they are like big GTIs.
We had two '97 Passats. I sold my wagon at 118,000 miles and it had very little work done on it.
The car we're selling at 120,000 miles needed a water pump and head gasket at a little over 100,000 miles. The only other problem was that there was a bad connection in a wire to the transmission computer under the rear seat and it kept blowing the transmission neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Looking to buy (Cooper)

Do you think it is a bad idea buying one with over 100,000 miles on it?
Is there a huge acceleration difference between the manual and automatic?
Is there a reason I should NOT get a '95 instead of a '96 or '97?
Anyone else have any comments?

·
Registered
27,893 Posts
Re: Looking to buy (stray15)

Do you think it is a bad idea buying one with over 100,000 miles on it?
Depends on your situation. If you have a figure you're interested in spending you can get a older car with less mileage or a newer car with higher mileage. It's really personal preference. If you drive a real lot, a lower mileage car may be a better way to go. If you don't, you can look at cars with somewhat higher mileage.
I sold my old GTi at 172,000 miles in late 1997, and the new owner's son was at 255,000 miles when I saw him late 2001. I stayed with a friend on Monday night. He drives a '95 (I think) Impala SS that's at 235,000 miles.
One rule of thumb for buying a used car is buy the newest car you can afford around the target figure you want to spend.
Don't know what you consider huge. There certainly is a difference. I had a 5-spd., and my wife's is an automatic. My 5 speed was a lot more fun for me. Her automatic accelerates fine, too. She has a rough commute on certain days, so she bought an automatic.
Edmunds listed 0-60 for the '96 wagon at 9.2 seconds. The July 1994 Car & Driver listed it at 9.5 seconds for the wagon.
I'm sure the 5-speed is a little quicker than that. By seat of the pants, I really couldn't tell a difference between my 123 hp '87 GTI and my heavier 172 hp '97 Passat wagon. Most published figures for the GTI were stated to be about 8.4 seconds or so for 0-60. But, I'm not a 0-60 style driver anyway.
What's the name of that chocolate store downtown again?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Looking to buy (Cooper)

Wilbur!

Thanks for the info Cooper http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts