VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do a VR and Auto to 5 spd swap, does anyone know a reputable, but reasonably priced shop for this work to take place at?
or
Even how much I am looking at for this conversion?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
You're looking at around anywhere from $4500 - $6000 depending on how much of the stuff you source yourself and how much the shop picks up for you. A COMPLETE VR conversion should cost no more than $3500, maybe $4000 if its low mileage or in exceptional condition. Labor is typically around $1500 - $1700 for a car that doesn require re-wiring. (90.5-99.5) Cars 90 and below require complete re-wiring, different system.
Plenty of good shops to choose from check the FAQ, call around, and call soon to ensure availability and scheduling

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (IMNVWXTC)

I would prefer to purchase the motor on my own, however, I hear it may work out to cost more in the long run....if I start miss a piece here and there....etc....
Anyone onr done a swap recently into an Mk3 ?

·
Banned
7,714 Posts

mk3s are very easy to swap into...because they came with that motor....mk2 require a little more modification...mk1s alot more...A vr swap shouldnt cost anymore than 5500-6000....the auto to 5spd swap is no problemwith a vr becaseu u have to change the pedal assembly and shifter assembly anywas

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Re: (1phtgti)

what kind are you planning on getting? 24v or 12v VR6?
just wondering, is there a difference btw swapping a 24v VR6 and 12v VR6 in a MK3?

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Re: (VW_GolfFreak)

dont go 24 valve not worth it imo
and auto or stick it doesnt matter as youd be changing the relvant parts regardless

·
Registered
4,502 Posts

Quote, originally posted by IMNVWXTC »
Thanx evil, but in your estimates are you including the auto - 5 speed swaps?

that quote includes an entire VR6 drivetrain
I would recommend buying a 5speed swap, auto VR trannie's are a bitch to work with and I don't know many people that would touch one aside from a dealership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts