VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Re: Looking to get a cold air intake for 1995 vw passat glx vr6! (A2B4guy)

You might want to think twice about the CAI. From my experience everyine with a VW that has put on a CAI has burned up their MAF in a couple of months.
Not tryin to shy you away just want to let you know about the effects of them. Try and get one with a mount of some sort so it doesn't shake alot. Vibrations= Bad MAF

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Looking to get a cold air intake for 1995 vw passat glx vr6! (V-KLAN)

So could you recommend a better intake?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Re: Looking to get a cold air intake for 1995 vw passat glx vr6! (lithorb)

I have a Neuspeed P-Flow on mine BUT...I really wish it had a Heat Sheild on it. Like the Eurosport Intake has the Heat Sheild w/foam to seal it to the hood. I just have a few friends that used CAI and they all put their stock air boxes back on. I would just recommend an Intake that has a Heat Sheild on it to help eleminate Heat Soaking.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Re: Looking to get a cold air intake for 1995 vw passat glx vr6! (V-KLAN)

Hey, sorry to take this off topic a bit, but how do you access that bolt/screw holding the air filter box to the frame? Mine is loose (mechanic said the rubber gromit was missing also) but it looks impossible to access unless I were to remove the manifold cover (I think that's what it is at least). It's the bolt right next to the belts on the passenger side of the engine.
The whole thing can be basically moved all around without this bolt, it doesn't hit anything (yet) but I'd like to know how you folks who have removed and replaced it before were able to access it easily.
thanks a million,
Abe

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Re: Looking to get a cold air intake for 1995 vw passat glx vr6! (jbrams)

There is no bolt or screw. There is a thin o-ring stretched from the airbox down to the frame, holding it down. Once that is released, the pegs on the bottom of the airbox can be lifted up out of the holes in the body. Then the real problem is getting the large peg on the hidden end of the airbox to come out of the rubber grommet that it is in. With age that grommet has become hard and won't let go of the peg. I wiggled and pulled on mine until the peg broke off the airbox. So now the airbox isn't as steady as it used to be. But I had to get the sumbeech out and there was no other way. (I was doing a water pump job.)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

Thanks for the help again A2B3guy! I'm still a little confused though.
Mine is loose like yours, probably for a similar reason (had to get the dang thing out of there for a job). Do you know of anyway to fit this though? I mean, it's movign around quite a bit, I'm worried that the air intake piece (attached to the front of the filter box) will come loose.
Any suggestions on how to stabalize it again?
Abe

·
Registered
142 Posts
Didn't read the rest of the responses, but just take out the snow screens near the snorkel in the airbox...
I drilled out my snorkel a bit too for some extra air... extra air that's not right next to a hot engine.

then drop in a k&n filter...
much better than a CAI, well, except for looks i guess.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Re: (russtamm)

was just at the TT website :https://www.techtonicstuning.com/indexs.html

thought i'd give you guys something to look at:

if i'm reading it correctly then it shows that the top horse power and torque for the open element intake (a.k.a CIA) is actually 2-3 horses and ft. lbs. less than the stock air box.
wish it would give more info on the car and stuff, i'm guessing from the horse power it's a 1.8 16v (but i'm not sure). but even though, it gives us something to think about.
so, is the loss of power worth the amazing sound of a CIA ???
i don't know what i want to do now

Modified by Rippen Raymen at 7:24 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Re: Looking to get a cold air intake for 1995 vw passat glx vr6! (jbrams)

Quote, originally posted by jbrams »
Thanks for the help again A2B3guy!

Yeah I know I've got a stupid screenname. I'd change it except it's my point of contact for the stuff I make. I always choke when I have to pick a username and password.
Quote »
Any suggestions on how to stabalize it again?
Abe

Stuff cardboard in between the top and the fender?

Duct tape?

As long as that o-ring is in place you should be OK. I took that intake air horn off, as well as the screen behind it and the horn insert in the upper airbox.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Re: (Rippen Raymen)

Quote, originally posted by Rippen Raymen »

if i'm reading it correctly then it shows that the top horse power and torque for the open element intake (a.k.a CIA) is actually 2-3 horses and ft. lbs. less than the stock air box.
wish it would give more info on the car and stuff, i'm guessing from the horse power it's a 1.8 16v (but i'm not sure). but even though, it gives us something to think about.
so, is the loss of power worth the amazing sound of a CIA ???
i don't know what i want to do now

That's a 2.0 ABA motor in a Mk3. Typical application, wouldn't you say? It can't be a 16V due to the injection system. I've got a paper version of that from a catalog somewhere. Ah yes, the eternal question: form or function? BTW you get tired of the sound eventually......

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

Yeah, the o-ring is either not there or I can't find what you're talking about. Where does the o-ring attach to the filter and the frame, do you have a picture?
I didn't know that there are pegs on the bottom of the filter box, I'll try to find them now. Either way, mine certainly are not holding the box in place at all
I think that the peg leading to the large grommeted hole is missing on mine as I can't see anything but a hole on the side of the filter which is above a hole in the frame (That's why I thought that there was some bolt that ought to hold them together). I tried to take a picture of this area but it was too dark out, maybe I'll try again tomorrow.
Mine is so unsteady that I can move it anywhere I want basically. The only thing keeping it in is that it's attached to the air intake and the frame is in its way of coming out completely (about 2 inches of wiggle room).
Arg
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Abe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts