VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a 2008 GTI in the past and currently daily a MK5 R. Is there anything to watch out for that’s specific to the A3? The specific one I’m looking to get has a tin roof and a base radio with a DSG and less than well less than 100k miles. So, I’m already planning for a DSG service and Tbelt since it’s a BPY( ). I know the rear bearings are pretty common.

Thanks for any insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,583 Posts
Is there a reason you want the BPY motor? First I was thinking familiarity/similarity but then an Mk5 .:R would be an .:R32, not a 2.0T.

Granted I too think the EA113 has advantages over the Gen1/2 EA888 as well but the BPY in particular isn't that conducive to mods (like say a K04 for example) as you have to replace the injectors as well, as opposed to CDMA/CRZA/CDLA versions which came in the .:R/TT-S (and a stock K04).

Also you can't get a quattro or facelift car with the BPY either (not sure if that matters to you, but me I wouldn't buy one that isn't and I did own a FWD as my first A3). Also there's several other small improvements here and there in the facelift models, including upgraded interior electronics. In pre-facelift cars only cars with Symphony or RNS-E radios get double-DIN (which is great for putting a modern aftermarket unit in). Facelift cars are all double-DIN. Single-DIN can certainly be converted but doesn't seem to be worth the trouble/money on a >10yr old car. Newer electronics also means better chance of getting a newer ABS unit, which means you can do things like enable XDS and TPMS. The white DIS also has more functionality. I mean both are dated by today's standards but the older red one is downright primitive.

I mean it depends on what matters to you as some of these things are things that matter to me/things I've noticed after owning a pre-facelift FWD and a post-facelift AWD. The only thing I liked better about the earlier car was the front end--just like the look better. Pretty much everything else they changed in facelift, is better/improved IMO.

Also keep in mind 2007-2010 (so both pre and post facelift) cars are the ones that had the DSG issues, so that's definitely something to watch out for.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am also looking to buy an 8P A3. From my research - the HPFP cam follower, A/C compressor, turbo flex pipe, and rear tire cupping are potential problem areas. In later models the cam follower was improved and the A/C compressor was fixed with a different one.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I am also looking to buy an 8P A3. From my research - the HPFP cam follower, A/C compressor, turbo flex pipe, and rear tire cupping are potential problem areas. In later models the cam follower was improved and the A/C compressor was fixed with a different one.
HPFP follower is only a concern on EA113 2.0T motors--so any of the 2.0Ts that are earlier than "MY08.5". Anything after that are EA888-equipped--so basically half a model year of pre-facelift and all facelift cars. The EA888 of course has it's own issues in that any from before MY13 can have the time-bomb chain tensioner, and pretty much all in 8P A3s will have the older revision chain. Also on the EA888s you have intake mani failures, water pump failures, as other common problem areas.

On the EA113s, the cam follower was never improved per se. What they improved was the intake cam--the "B" revision cam is hardened and less prone to getting the drive lobes damaged by a worn follower. However it can still occur. You still must check the follower periodically and replace as soon as the DLC (the black coating) starts wearing away. After the DLC starts to wear away, the wear is then rapid, so it should be replaced there and then. EA888s have a totally different HPFP setup so there is virtually no concern there (though HPFPs themselves have been known to fail).

Overall, I guess the EA888 is actually more hassle and headache than the EA113. PCV fails on the EA888 and your rear main seal will blow out. PCV is totally different on the EA113 and if it fails the most likely gasket that gets blown out is valve cover gasket which is a pretty easy job.

Never really heard of any issues with turbo pipes, on either engine.

Carbon buildup on the intake valves is also something to be aware of. It occurs on both 2.0Ts and is unavoidable. Try to buy one that has been cleaned within the last couple years, or plan on doing this service. And I'm talking about intake-off, and manual cleaning or walnut blasting as that's the only thing that's going to clean it.

Armrest latches are notorious for breakage (dumbest design evar), seat belt buckles as well--the sensor wire breaks, and the airbag light will go on.

A/C compressor, yes, but there are various models used, just gonna depend on build date I think.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a reason you want the BPY motor? First I was thinking familiarity/similarity but then an Mk5 .:R would be an .:R32, not a 2.0T.

Granted I too think the EA113 has advantages over the Gen1/2 EA888 as well but the BPY in particular isn't that conducive to mods (like say a K04 for example) as you have to replace the injectors as well, as opposed to CDMA/CRZA/CDLA versions which came in the .:R/TT-S (and a stock K04).

Also you can't get a quattro or facelift car with the BPY either (not sure if that matters to you, but me I wouldn't buy one that isn't and I did own a FWD as my first A3). Also there's several other small improvements here and there in the facelift models, including upgraded interior electronics. In pre-facelift cars only cars with Symphony or RNS-E radios get double-DIN (which is great for putting a modern aftermarket unit in). Facelift cars are all double-DIN. Single-DIN can certainly be converted but doesn't seem to be worth the trouble/money on a >10yr old car. Newer electronics also means better chance of getting a newer ABS unit, which means you can do things like enable XDS and TPMS. The white DIS also has more functionality. I mean both are dated by today's standards but the older red one is downright primitive.

I mean it depends on what matters to you as some of these things are things that matter to me/things I've noticed after owning a pre-facelift FWD and a post-facelift AWD. The only thing I liked better about the earlier car was the front end--just like the look better. Pretty much everything else they changed in facelift, is better/improved IMO.

Also keep in mind 2007-2010 (so both pre and post facelift) cars are the ones that had the DSG issues, so that's definitely something to watch out for.
Thanks for the insight!

Yea I’m looking at the BPY specifically because I’m most comfortable and familiar with the BPY. Plus I saw and had to fix way too many issues with the chain engines.

Since I’m planning on having this as a daily, mods “should” be minimal. IE tint and a stage 1 Giac pump gas tune. Heck I’m even looking specifically at the A3s with the 17” wheels.

DSG-wise what problems are you referring to? Funky shifting and Mech extended warranty and recalls?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
A significant number of 07-10 (or possibly 08-11) models had Mechatronics issues, yes. Even from brand new. I had an 08 with this problem and it was essentially like that right off the dealer lot. I mean it was okay at first actually but quickly was not okay. At first, I wasn't even aware of it as I thought that was just how the DSG behaved. I took it to get tuned one day and because I was among the first ppl to see an EA888 in their car (was a mid-08 build) there actually wasn't an [APR] tune for the car at that point. The guy that drove it in though he commented it was jerky and when I said, "oh I thought that's how a DSG was" he's like no he's driven tons of them and never had one feel like that. Car was only a few months old at this point.

I couldn't get tuned due to the non-availability but it did let me at least start to realise something wasn't right with the gearbox. Anyway, at the time, the whole thing turned into quite the debacle. Threads all over the intarwebs with DSG complaints, VW denying everything, etc. etc. Took it to the stealer 3+ times only for them to keep telling me "there's nothing wrong with it" and trying to charge me for diagnostic, etc. :rolleyes: All the time the car was getting worse and worse, becoming more and more hesitant/jerky with engagement from a stop. The last visit to that same stealer was after I got a letter from Audi saying they recognise there's a problem with the MU in "some cars" and they were working on a solution. Stealer still flat out denied there were any such problems :rolleyes: To this day I have never gone back to that stealer and never will! (Though granted I don't trust any mechanics period these days and the MY13 has only ever seen any shop twice--first/free oil change, and airbag recall.)

Eventually after class-action suits and stuff there was a service campaign issued to replace the MUs in affected vehicles. My MU was therefore replaced under warranty and finally "fixed" the problem. I put it in quotes because really, after all the time driving with the messed up MU and being told it was "normal", must have damaged the clutches and whatever else. Because that car eventually got written off in an accident, which is when I got the MY13 quattro car. And then I realised the 08 car was never right, the trans was always messed up even after the MU was replaced. Today, my '13 car "turned 9 yrs old" (9 years in service) just a couple days ago. Transmission still drives/shifts better than the 08 ever did! And this car has had a K04 on it for around the past 4 years too.

So yeah beware of those years transmissions.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have an 07 BPY with the premium package, (xenons, sport seats, Bose, Sunroof etc) and i heard all of the horror stories going into it. I already had an MK6 GTI at that point and a ton of other VWs before so I went for it and honestly it all really depends on how the previous owner treated it. My BPY outside of some very minor oil burning which is to be expected has been rock solid. I don't know if I got lucky with mine or what but I love it and my VW tech has a MK5 Fahrenheit he swears by so it cant be that bad.

I bought it with 143000km and have had it for 3 years, iv only had replace a brake caliper, 1 rear wheel bearing, and PCV valve the rest was just regular and preventive maintenance

I've religiously kept up with oil changes and have done 1 DSG service and a carbon cleaning since I didn't know the history. other than that iv done preventative maintenance on the chain tensioner and cam follower for peace of mind along with spark plugs and R8 Coils since I put a Stage 1 tune on it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah so it sounds like like there really isn’t anything out of the ordinary especially since this would be (fingers crossed) my third car of this platform.

In my GTi I ran Total oil and if I had to pentosin. Didn’t have oil burning issues.

PM isn’t a huge deal either but, with my R32, doing big maintenances every ~1.5 years is starting to get old. This weekend I’m about to do, all rear arms, shocks, struts with bushings and bearings, water pump, tires and an alignment… and hopefully a voltage regulator, also need to get a front crank seal coming soon.

Which is why I’m looking specifically for FWD models with the small wheels and a tin roof.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
honestly I wouldn't be to worried about it, if you're already familiar with vw/audi its just another car lol just try to find the cleanest one within your price range and maybe run a scan on it with vagcom or obd11 and see if its hiding anything outside of a visual inspection.

oh and also check for rust, the 06-08 ones I find tend to rust around the fenders and rear hatch, my fender was a little rusty at the bottom but luckily or unluckily depending how you look at it my neighbor backed into that fender and I got it replaced and the rust fixed

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well folks. I found one

~86k
Its pretty good shape, has some minor trim issues and an aftermarket deck that I want out. So once I get this home I’ll be hunting for a deck if anyone has one.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Well folks. I found one

~86k
Its pretty good shape, has some minor trim issues and an aftermarket deck that I want out. So once I get this home I’ll be hunting for a deck if anyone has one.

Congrats! What year is it? I have a Concert II+ lying around but that will only fit a double-DIN car (or one modified for double DIN). 06-07 cars would be single DIN unless they had the Symphony or RNS-E, but I'd imagine if it had the latter it wouldn't have been swapped out but who knows...

08.5 cars (which would also have EA888 "TSI" engine) would all be double-DIN as the Concert II+ became the base stereo at that point.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man. It’s an 07 and it def has a double DIN in it.

So for me, it has the right engine with it being a BPY. Which means I have a bunch of stuff laying around for it from my days having an 08 GTi FSI, and the days at the shop… :) I just wish I hadnt sold my flash loader…

This is the radio, photo is from the ad, I haven’t picked it up yet from the dealer

·
Registered
519 Posts
A significant number of 07-10 (or possibly 08-11) models had Mechatronics issues, yes. Even from brand new. I had an 08 with this problem and it was essentially like that right off the dealer lot. I mean it was okay at first actually but quickly was not okay. At first, I wasn't even aware of it as I thought that was just how the DSG behaved. I took it to get tuned one day and because I was among the first ppl to see an EA888 in their car (was a mid-08 build) there actually wasn't an [APR] tune for the car at that point. The guy that drove it in though he commented it was jerky and when I said, "oh I thought that's how a DSG was" he's like no he's driven tons of them and never had one feel like that. Car was only a few months old at this point.

I couldn't get tuned due to the non-availability but it did let me at least start to realise something wasn't right with the gearbox. Anyway, at the time, the whole thing turned into quite the debacle. Threads all over the intarwebs with DSG complaints, VW denying everything, etc. etc. Took it to the stealer 3+ times only for them to keep telling me "there's nothing wrong with it" and trying to charge me for diagnostic, etc. :rolleyes: All the time the car was getting worse and worse, becoming more and more hesitant/jerky with engagement from a stop. The last visit to that same stealer was after I got a letter from Audi saying they recognise there's a problem with the MU in "some cars" and they were working on a solution. Stealer still flat out denied there were any such problems :rolleyes: To this day I have never gone back to that stealer and never will! (Though granted I don't trust any mechanics period these days and the MY13 has only ever seen any shop twice--first/free oil change, and airbag recall.)

Eventually after class-action suits and stuff there was a service campaign issued to replace the MUs in affected vehicles. My MU was therefore replaced under warranty and finally "fixed" the problem. I put it in quotes because really, after all the time driving with the messed up MU and being told it was "normal", must have damaged the clutches and whatever else. Because that car eventually got written off in an accident, which is when I got the MY13 quattro car. And then I realised the 08 car was never right, the trans was always messed up even after the MU was replaced. Today, my '13 car "turned 9 yrs old" (9 years in service) just a couple days ago. Transmission still drives/shifts better than the 08 ever did! And this car has had a K04 on it for around the past 4 years too.

So yeah beware of those years transmissions.
Wow, I didn't realize the Mechatronics issue could be that bad. In normal city driving, I don't experience any problems like you described. My 2007 A3 8P 2.0T has punchy torque. However, if I hit the gas hard, then as I get momentum let up on the gas, then quickly punch it again, it's VERY jerky. I don't race, so it's not an issue for me. One thing that does annoy me is when using the paddle shifters and downshifting from 4th to 3rd, the transmission gearing doesn't seem to "catch up" right away, and for a moment I don't get any engine breaking on slopes. I have to downshift again to get that. So, it's a little quirky that way. But I'm so used to it now. Original owner. Had DSG service at 80k. I'm at 92k now. This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned (my previous daily driver was a '95 Nissan Maxima, which was reasonably reliable). I plan to keep it for a few years more until I make the jump to an all electric Audi. It's like an old friend. I know I'm going to miss it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts