VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we recently purchased a 2014 Passat SEL that had an aftermarket (Junsun 7-cevw-2531) radio installed By a previous owner. Overall, not a bad system, but the rearview camera (RVC) does work reliably. Given how integrated the radio is with the steering wheel, navigation, RVC, etc., does anyone have any suggestions for a system that would support...

RVC (it would be great if the OEM camera could be utilized)
Bluetooth for phone and audio
iPhone and Android compatibility
GPS Navigation
Integration with the steering wheel controls

....or would I have more luck seeing Bigfoot riding a unicorn? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
Proud owner since November, 2020

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
152 Posts
1) You say that the unit is not bad, but the "RVC DOES WORK RELIABLY". Did you mean to say that it doesn't work, or indeed it does work?

2) Typically all of these Chinese units come with with a plug-n-play harness adapter that incorporates retention of steering wheel controls. I tried to Google the model you wrote and there's no result.
However, most of these units come with Bluetooth functionality and GPS navigation - they come with a GPS antenna, although some of them utilize solely the Google Maps. If it is an Android, you could actually install an app (or "apk" as I think they call them nowadays) such as Sygic, or IGO, or whatever you could find in the Apple/Play Store along with off-line maps.
How come that Junsun unit doesn't have any of these features (BT, GPS, Steering Wheel Controls)?

3) If you have factory-installed camera, then you need a special connector adapter that would plug into your Junsun, or a new unit - which most typically have an RCA -type female input connector. You'd need something like THIS in order to retain functionality of your OEM RVC.
I don't know if there's a FAKRA -to-RGB (connector) adapter if your Junsun has an rgb type camera input. You'd have to research that one.
The only drawback about these units is that they have a below-tolerable radio receiving modules - they suck even with an amplified antenna adapter.

Lastly, you need figure out if you need something that's pretty much plug-n-play and you can do it yourself, or you need to buy something more qualitative that us market has to offer through Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix or similar audio businesses and that require professional installation.

I personally installed THIS UNIT in my car and I'm very pleased. the RVC is the trunk-handle type similar to OEM, except that it's an aftermarket Chinisery - it works just fine.

You'll have to search for a "B7 Passat Stereo" on either Ebay or Amazon if you go this route.
It even has an WI-FI antenna...
Good luck

·
Registered
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6MT
28 Posts
Based on the production code list stuck to the trunk wall, what radio/nav unit was installed originally ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts