VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I close/slam the drivers side door, it doesn't sound and feel SOLID. My other Rabbits have this solid thump to it.
The door closes fine and is aligned fine. There are no issues with the door except that it doesn't feel solid at all..
it just kinda clucks and I could feel and hear the window inside rattle..
any ideas how to make it a solid/sturdy door?

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Re: Looose drivers side Door (myknyte2)

there is two bolt that bolt the door onto your car, you need to adjust those to where it fits perfectly and shuts without lifting up at all...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Re: Looose drivers side Door (1.8TRabbit)

There is a latch on the door, that when you close, latches onto a stud bolted to the door sill. This stud, over time, will loosen and shift to the inside of the sill. You can loosen it and pull it out (toward the outside of the car), and then tighten it. This will make it much easier to close the door. You won't have to slam it. It won't stop the rattle, but it's a start.

Modified by OriginalGTI at 2:39 AM 4-23-2006

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Re: Looose drivers side Door (OriginalGTI)

Sweet advice.. I was quite unawars fo that myself, and now my back passangers door lines up where I want it too. Thanks

Quote, originally posted by OriginalGTI »
There is a latch on the door, that when you close, latches onto a stud bolted to the door sill. This stud, over time, will loosen and shift to the inside of the sill. You can loosen it and pull it out (toward the outside of the car), and then tighten it. This will make it much easier to close the door. You won't have to slam it. It won't stop the rattle, but it's a start.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Re: Looose drivers side Door (F0xz0r)

There is also supposed to be some plastic sleeve over the striker bolt in the door sill. Without it, the fit is a little loose, as the sleeve provides some shock absorbtion to give the door a nice solid feel. A lot of older cars had the plastic sleeve disintegrate and fall off. Don't use something too thick or it won't latch at all. You can also try to wrap electrical tape around the bolt, but that will wear down pretty quickly I think.
- Fab

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Re: Looose drivers side Door (ftillier)

Quote, originally posted by ftillier »
You can also try to wrap electrical tape around the bolt, but that will wear down pretty quickly I think.
- Fab
And might look a little GhEtTo......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts