VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Loose brand new Intermediate Shaft Bushings Bearings

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Enter the chicken 
#1 ·
I got a set of brand new intermediate shaft bushings (bearings for future searches). I am not happy about what I feel is WAY too much clearance.
Comparing to the original still in the block.
So, I bought another set, and these are the same. The bushing will rock back and forth when placed on the shaft and twisted left to right.

I can probably try to get a feeler gauge in there, but havn't tried yet. Won't be easy.

Have others had issues with brand new bearings being too sloppy?

#5 ·
I have heard of some people saying that they were tight after putting in new ones. I like your method to solve that.

I had the shop put my new bearings in. I wanted to do it myself, but just could not find the tools for rent or sale around me.
$30 for the shop to do them was money well spent. The bearings are not loose, so for anyone in the future searching, they definitely tightened up.

Had the deck milled while the block was there too. Piece of mind.
Not sure why I didn't have that done when the cylinders were honed.
Piece of mind.

#11 ·
I have had issues with the aftermarket ones (since OEM haven't been avail in over a decade it seems). usually, they are tight after being pressed in, but it is usually only right where the oil holes were punched through. I usually 'carefully" slide the IM shaft in dry or with the slightest coat of oil to wet it up, hand turn one rev and remove. Take some super fine wet/dry right where the shiny spot is (again, only usually right by the oil hole).

Shame it has to be done but it is what it is. Techtonics Tuning advertises theirs as not needing line bore, but I have not used theirs. Also, I see now there are Calico Coated ones, so maybe there are lot more people making them then there were years back when I last build some 058 engines.

Also, an old IM shaft cut in half is the old timers trick :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.