VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of yesterday afternoon when I got off work, my transmission is making funny noises that I'm hoping someone here has witnessed and can save me the trouble of finding out what's wrong with it.
Every time I press the cluth in, regardless of what gear I'm in (including neutral), I hear a sound coming from my tranny that sounds like a rattling aluminum can. I am not noticing any driving/shifting problems, i.e. everything feels normal. Is my crankshaft loose?

TIA, J

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Loose crankshaft? (jonbaby420)

not likely a crankshaft
that would be fairly catastrophic and coming from the motor
i would suspect the Pressure Plate

·
Registered
774 Posts
Re: Loose crankshaft? (The Nothing)

what would be wrong with the pressure plate to make this happen?
My friend just finished his clutch job and has the same type of noise.. almost like there is a bolt ratteling around in the trans...
it does it when the clutch is in or out.. but only when rolling at 5+ mph...
any ideas? he has since replaced both axles...

thanks!

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm going to remove the oil pan tonight and check the thrust bearing. I'll be sure to post my findings. Thanks for all the ideas, peeps! Peace, J
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Loose crankshaft? (j a y)

could be a bolt or a strap rolling around the bell housing

·
Registered
668 Posts

If it were the crankshaft, it wouldn't matter what you did with the clutch. I'd be more inclined to point at something in the transmission. Throw-out bearing is unlikey, but possible. Could be a the push rod seizing up or getting ready to. There's a bushing that holds the push rod in place, maybe that came out?
take the tranny off and check the clutch components.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Loose crankshaft? (2Turbo4X4)

Thanks again for all the help, people. I'll take all your advice into consideration (as I always do). God, the 'Tex is a really great tool for sharing info, huh?

·
Registered
14,303 Posts

From my experience, a worn center main thrust bearing does not cause the type of noise that you are describing.
I suspect that one of the straps on the pressure plate has broken. A pressure plate normally has three single straps with rivets holding the straps to the pressure plate. It not unusual for a strap to break with higher horsepower.
What we are doing on the SCCA VW production road racers is to use the Sachs competition pressure plate with a total of nine (9) straps (three straps per location) to prevent breakage of the straps. The pressure plates with three single straps last only about one qualifying session.
So I recommend that you save yourself some work by not pulling the oil pan. However you can quickly check for a worn thrust bearing by watching the movement of the crank pulley, providing you don't have the timing belt covers on. Have a friend press the clutch pedal (engine not running) in and out while you watch for an associated lateral movement of the crank pulley.
Even if you find some thrust bearing wear, don't be alarmed. I ran a race engine with a worn thrust bearing, due to bad thrust shoulders on the crank, for about a season in SCCA ITC racing without any problem.
Regards, WWR.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Loose crankshaft? (WackyWabbitRacer)

Well, thank YOU very much, WWR! That may have saved me quite some time. I'll check the pressure plate tonight as you suggested (as did someone else above) before doing anything extraneous. God knows I don't want to have to do all this tonight after a hard days work on the creidt union's netowrks, but hey, we are dubbers and we do what we do, ya know? I look at it as a small price to pay for having such a fun car to drive! Besides, when shti breaks I know I'm going to be learning something new!

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Re: Loose crankshaft? (WackyWabbitRacer)

Quote, originally posted by WackyWabbitRacer »
....I suspect that one of the straps on the pressure plate has broken.....

Or a spring in the disk is loose. I have seen this too many times. It sometime dislodges and floats, eventually scoring a hole in the bell housing.
Sometime it'll give symtoms of a "shutter" when enguaging first gear and giving clutch.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Loose crankshaft? (fwdvw)

Yeah, I'm not getting any shuddering. As I said above, there is nothing felt in the driving or shifting of the car. All seems normal, if not for the Sanford & Son signature sounds coming from somewhere centerline underneath!
However, while I'm there I will certainly take a look at the springs and insure they're all attached. I had to go out at lunch and some rlcer kidz in their civic were laughing at me cuz my car sounded funny every time I shifted.
It's okay. I'll have it fixed by tomorrow (
) and then I'll be on the lookout for those teenie fux.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Loose crankshaft? (fwdvw)

Update:
Last night I got my bud to put in the clutch while I watched the tranny. It was the pressure plate, it had a strap that had snapped and had come off completely. Unfortunately, the strap was nowhere to be found. We looked in my garage for about five minutes and luckily it was in there. Don't ask me how it would've happened there instead of somewhere on the road, but it had, and there it was! Total time for repair: 30 minutes!!!

I couldn't believe it. Thanks for all the help and suggestions, peeps! Keep dubbin'! Kind regards, Jonathan
For all of you! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,941 Posts

so you dropped the tranny and replaced the pressure plate in 30 minutes?!?!?!??

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Loose crankshaft? (Rabbit 16v)

my guess could be clutch spring

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Yeah, the clutch spring, however that wasn't the problem. Now the whole thing's gone south. My thrust bearings are shot and I've lost the bottom end. I have no time to repair it anymore, the other night was my one shot. Besides, as if you guys couldn't tell, I haven't the foggiest fugin' clue what I'm doing. I'm taking the car into JJ Motorwerks to have Joe and Jay take a look. Just got off the phone with Joe. I started a different post in anger about an hour ago, when I should've just added info here. SOrry about all the confusion. I'm furious right now that my car is dead. I don't even drive it hard, seriously. I need it to run, not to break. I think I'm in over my head.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jonbaby420 »
I think I'm in over my head.

Hey man, don't despair. We all go through this. The car is 27 years old and heavily customized. Stuff is gonna go wrong. Nothing you can do about it. But the good news is, it is still better than making payments on a 30K car.
Here's the quote:
"You can buy a whole lot of 16V swaps for the cost of a new Passat."

Hang in there, take it slow, and fix one thing at a time. If you don't know what you are doing, pay someone who does. If that seems like a lot of money, just do the math on how much a new clutch is gonna cost in a new car. Ouch.
Rabbits don't have warranties.
But that's what makes them rock.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Loose crankshaft? (dbreid)

Dan, you've always got something positive to say. Looking back at that post, I remember how mad I was an hour ago when I typed it. I'm cool now, I got some money from work and the boys at JJ Motorwerks are gonna help me out tonight. Thanks for the support, 'Texers! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
for all of you

1 - 20 of 25 Posts