VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking in my engine bay, I see this. Any ideas on where it should go?
It seems to come out of the firewall, below the clutch where I can't see.
To note:
-I am missing my factory air box
-all three of my center cluster triple gauge panel gauges and lights stopped working one day after someone worked on my car
-someone recently repaired the hoses going to the heater core
-my (primary) instrument panel is missing any lights and has an inop fuel gauge.

Car runs and drives without any issues.

Thanks for suggestions!
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Tread

Hand Automotive tire Leg Glove Tread

Hand Automotive tire Sleeve Finger Motor vehicle

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brilliant, thank you!

So the o2 sensor is supposed to read "exhaust gas composition" and feed this back to the ECU.
What's happening now that this is sitting unplugged? (I don't have an O2 sensor, and it seems the headers I have don't have a space to put one...so now what happens?

(And why is the car driving reasonably well?)

·
Registered
2019 GTI Rabbit Cornflower Blue DSG PP LP CWP
154 Posts
So, why can't you put the car up on jack stands, and plug it back in from underneath?
If you can't, just take it back to the previous mechanic to have it done.
The plug connectors are too clean to have been unplugged for a long time.

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
The sensor measures the difference between the oxygen content of the exhaust and compares it to the content in the air.

The sensor will only work when it gets to a certain temperature. The electric heater assists with this heating requirement.

If there is no signal [because it's unplugged] the ECU will not make those small changes to keep the fuel mixture perfect. The computer does pretty good on it's own without any input with the O2 sensor.

I do not know where you live, but if you were to do that in my area, people would think you are stealing a catalytic converter. The O2 sensor pig tail is long enough that you may see it from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
The Previous owner may not have installed a o2 bung in one of the headers down pipes, so they left it unplugged.
You can add a Bung to your down pipe of the header on the passenger side of the down pipe as there is more room and it is easier to change. I had to do this on my G60 Dual manifold and TT down pipe, as well as a Pacesetter header, Raceland header, as well as my home grown Dual down pipe.

And yes, relocating it to the right side I had to extend the cable on my o2 sensor.
I added the same gauge silver wire, Soldered, Heat Shrinked, then Covered with HVAC metal tape and tie-wrapped on to the Steering Rack and heat shield to avoid issues with it Melting the wires in contact with the Pipes.

The Caveat is there is more room on the left side of the car, as the power Steering hoses, and shifter linkages as well as the rear Tranny mount aren't in your way.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, why can't you put the car up on jack stands, and plug it back in from underneath?
If you can't, just take it back to the previous mechanic to have it done.
The plug connectors are too clean to have been unplugged for a long time.
Where exactly does it plug in? After hours of searching, I just can't make it out!

·
Premium Member
1993 Cabriolet, 2019 GSW 4Mo DSG
518 Posts
If you have an O2 sensor, it will be on your exhaust manifold or header usually on the left hand side after the collector. Do you have an aftermarket header or do you have an exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
The Previous owner may not have installed a o2 bung in one of the headers down pipes, so they left it unplugged.
You can add a Bung to your down pipe of the header on the passenger side of the down pipe as there is more room and it is easier to change. I had to do this on my G60 Dual manifold and TT down pipe, as well as a Pacesetter header, Raceland header, as well as my home grown Dual down pipe.

And yes, relocating it to the right side I had to extend the cable on my o2 sensor.
I added the same gauge silver wire, Soldered, Heat Shrinked, then Covered with HVAC metal tape and tie-wrapped on to the Steering Rack and heat shield to avoid issues with it Melting the wires in contact with the Pipes.

The Caveat is there is more room on the left side of the car, as the power Steering hoses, and shifter linkages as well as the rear Tranny mount aren't in your way.
This right here. Card did not come with headers, so some previous owner added headers that didn't have a bung hole for the O2 sensor. Any exhaust shop could weld in a bung hole for you (I had to do that on a ford when the original bung hole treads stripped out while removing O2 sensor). If I remember correctly, I believe without a signal from the O2 sensor the car goes into a "limp home" mode and runs rich (same mode is used when you first start the car until the O2 sensor is up to temperature). It will get you home but you gas mileage is probably pretty bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts