VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
standalone gt2871r setup
i was getting some very slight traction issues in third gear but now the weather is getting colder its getting worse. at about 5k, my rpms are jumping right into redline and im completely losing power up top (via clutch or slipping tires)
makes me wonder if its actually my clutch slipping, its only an EIP stage 1 which is def a little softer than i should have gotten but its only 2 months old.
these symptoms, however, dont happen in 4th and 5th gear which are a higher load.
so is it safe to assume that i just need stickier tires, or is it possible that my clutch is showing signs of its demise.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Re: loosing clutch or tires>? (jazzpur)

Stick it in third at a dead stop and let the clutch out slowly. If the motor dies its not the clutch. If it lowers the rpms but still runs. Its the clutch. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Re: loosing clutch or tires>? (1.8TRabbit)

sounds like tires, if it does it in 3rd but not 4th or 5th and still pulls like a beast in those gears,l sounds liek your running more effeciently and dense with cooler air, more hp/tq = tire spin. My stocker spins in third and worse in 4th if i do a 3k rpm pull she will jump (once spools up) to 4500 and sit then fall back down slightly to about 4k then she will try to continue pulling and its a nasty smell lol not like tire rubber

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Re: loosing clutch or tires>? (theswoleguy)

Quote, originally posted by theswoleguy »
sounds like tires, if it does it in 3rd but not 4th or 5th and still pulls like a beast in those gears,l sounds liek your running more effeciently and dense with cooler air, more hp/tq = tire spin. My stocker spins in third and worse in 4th if i do a 3k rpm pull she will jump (once spools up) to 4500 and sit then fall back down slightly to about 4k then she will try to continue pulling and its a nasty smell lol not like tire rubber
I just dont know how you cant tell if your tires are spinning or not.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Re: loosing clutch or tires>? (1.8TRabbit)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8TRabbit »
I just dont know how you cant tell if your tires are spinning or not.
lol i can tell when they spin and when they dont. You feel it and well you just know lol I was just trying to help him out

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Re: loosing clutch or tires>? (theswoleguy)

Quote, originally posted by theswoleguy »
lol i can tell when they spin and when they dont. You feel it and well you just know lol I was just trying to help him out
Actually yeah you can tell!
Atleast I know when my tires are slipping!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jazzpur »
its too smooth to tell
there is no hop what-so-ever which is making me think its my clutch
but i dont hear tire noise, and i dont smell clutch.. so im
Just a thought, but my ASR light flashes when I spin my tires on hard launches. Does this happen when you slip in 3rd??

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

starting to happen again
above 16 psi in third gear i start to hear a loud whine and the power feels like it dies out
anybody ever hear a clutch that couldnt hold a certain torque level? all of those tricks will tell whether the clutch is "shot", but not neccessarily tell whether theres enough friction to hold at peak torque

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.