VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to install a Kenwood DDX-396 in my wifes Jetta and I'm loosing it. I can't seem to get a straight forward answer anywhere and I'm hoping someone here may have some helpful info. She has a 2011 Jetta with a double din stereo (original equipment) that died. She purchased the Kenwood as a replacement but of course NONE of the VW wiring plugs into the Kenwood so I've purchased the harness CANBUS converter which makes enough sense but when it comes to the SiriusXM connection I'm lost. The Jetta had SiriusXM subscribed to it and functional for years so no worries there but there's an antenna plug / wire which is of course completely different from the SiriusXM plug on the Kenwood unit. The Kenwood is Sat ready from what I can tell and as we had Sat in the car previously, is it just a mater of getting an adaptor to go from the VW antenna plug to the Kenwood plug or do I need something completely different? I found a SiriusXM "box" that looks like it plugs into the this sort of head unit but it has an antenna which as near as I can tell shouldn't be required as I already have had that function built into the Jetta no? Sorry if these seem like simple details but I'm hung-up here and totally frustrated trying to find an application specific guide or instructions and having no luck. Thanx for your patience!

·
Registered
251 Posts
You will need to buy a satellite tuner compatible with the kenwood and you may need a euro antenna adapter to use the OEM antenna.

Go to Crutchfield.com and put in your car and select a kenwood satellite ready radio like yours and then select audio add on and select a satellite tuner and Crutchfield will provide you with recommended adapters and installation necessities.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the input! I found the S.XM box at my local electronics store and gave that a try which fixed the Sat issue. Makes no sense to me that the factory installed Sat antenna can't be used which would be much simpler etc but what ever. I wasn't able to find the FM antenna adaptor locally though so I'll order one of those from Cruchfield. Thanx again for your help! Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
314 Posts
Well, in order to access Sat programming you need a TUNER, which you just bought.
The OEM-installed head unit that died had the SiriusXM tuner incorporated in the unit itself.
There's no external or separate tuner installed from the factory anywhere on the car that you could connect to an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, in order to access Sat programming you need a TUNER, which you just bought.
The OEM-installed head unit that died had the SiriusXM tuner incorporated in the unit itself.
There's no external or separate tuner installed from the factory anywhere on the car that you could connect to an aftermarket head unit.
Ya i get it..... I just thought that when you by a stereo head unit that says SirusXM Sat on it..... it should be ready to "tune" or "receive" Sat signal. I mean you wouldn't buy an FM radio expecting to need to add an FM tuner? I would have thought (obviously incorrectly) that it would be a matter of connecting the factory installed "antenna" to the head unit and away ya go. Anyway.... learning experience. Again, thanx for the input!

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
314 Posts
I'm on your team - same philosophy, as I intended to install an XM-ready android unit in my Elantra GT as well. I had the backup camera displaying on a rearview mirror-like little display at the time, so I wanted a nice 2-din display.
I gave up on it just because the very same issue and told my wife "I can't do it" ;)
Moreover (the cherry on the cake), I traded the car this past Dec and I picked a car without SiriusXM head unit just to get rid of it - I just hate calling every 6 months to practically "beg" them for a good, discounted deal. Listening to only two stations just doesn't justify having the subscription.

Anyway, I agree totally with you, they make things complicated on purpose. It makes you think they sell quite a few "needed" accessories in conjunction with aftermarket units. In exchange, the radio manufacturers sell more of their units b/c of the partnership with the "SiriusXM-ready" logo on the units. Very lucrative enterprise for both parties...
Good luck with your project.(y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts