VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article yesterday that recommended that guys lose their incandescent style trouble lights (I didn't know that there were STILL car guys out there with a death wish!).
The writer recommended that car guys and girls buy a florescent light instead. I have used florescent work lights in the past and they can be one of the most aggravating tools to use, and the bulbs break usually (at least for me) the first time you drop them.
Anyway, rate this video, and if you are like me, you will probably sympathize with the mechanic. http://www.maxxeon.com/ws1200video.html

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
I think that light can be a bit smaller considering it's using LED lights. While better than your conventional work lights, it is still just a tad bulky to get to those really tight spots.

·
Registered
36,395 Posts
Re: (JLS123)

Quote, originally posted by JLS123 »
As far as small lights go, I understand there are LED penlights, but I am not sure how much light they throw out.

The video shows pretty clearly what you're getting. Sure, it's not a monster spotlight, but I'm sure it's still a useful addition to your toolbox.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Re: (AZGolf)

I've used a twin-tube fluorescent trouble light for 10 years and it looks like it's been through a war. Never fails to light and I've never replaced a bulb.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
best solution till now for me has been to use a quality incandescent unit with a self ballasted compact fluorescent screw in unit. doesnt get hot, cheap and quite effective.

·
Premium Member
19,873 Posts

I have this little head-light thing that my husband got me for Christmas one year. OMG, that thing saves my butt all the time. It fits into the tiniest places.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Re: (atomicalex)

Quote, originally posted by atomicalex »
I have this little head-light thing that my husband got me for Christmas one year. OMG, that thing saves my butt all the time. It fits into the tiniest places.

For some reason, I can't get over the sexuality of this sentence.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Re: Lose the Incandescents - Rate This Video (JLS123)

LED LIGHTS...the ONLY way to go....cheap and you can drop them from a 10 story building!

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JLS123 »
As far as small lights go, I understand there are LED penlights, but I am not sure how much light they throw out.

I have a very compact single-led flashlight with a fresnel lens powered by two camera flash batteries that will absolutely blind you.
Buuut, I don't really agree with the complaints (edit: of writer in the link or whoever was complaining
) concerning fluro shoplights as my cheap sears fluro shoplight has been very reliable and I use it almost every day in somewhat harsh environments.
I think that most light packages that do have durable bulbs and construction suffer from poor lens/reflector setups and lame packaging, ie. the light is always shining in your face due to you not being able to place it where you want to without ducttape or a big spring clamp or something, so the articulation is nice but nothing that we haven't seen before...

Modified by 'dubber at 6:26 PM 11-2-2007

Modified by 'dubber at 6:26 PM 11-2-2007

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.