VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dubbers...calling on you guys to give me suggestions on how best to reduce weight on a MK 2 golf.... well I have a friend who owns a MK 1 with same engine set up which lose me at traffic lights but I am always there behind him at then end... Appreciate any suggestion to turn table around....

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
Re: Lose weight (H2Zero)

ask T-Bird

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71, Accord DD
4,232 Posts

I have the climate control and interior sound deadening material removed, and that changed the characteristics of the car for the better. You'll be much lighter if your firewall is bare like this:

Because you can hear and feel the drivetrain like 4x more like this, there is better feedback from the car and a better connection to the car.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Lose weight (DUTCHMANia)

Quote, originally posted by DUTCHMANia »
ask T-Bird
how do i get i touch with him...????

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

lmao, T-bird lost wieght, not his car. So, usless you feel "large" or that you need to lose actual wieght, hell I dont know, how about you do a search...

·
Banned
648 Posts
Re: Lose weight (THAT DAMN GOOD!)

haha I just had a funny thought if we are on the Tbird topic.... gutting your car for the track, and hiring a jockey to race it for you

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Lose weight (GermanWannaB)

hahaha you guys just cracks me up.... I mean the car.... Can I have some advice to shed weight from the car, not me....

·
Banned
159 Posts

dood. you might have lost 25lbs by losing your dash and what not??? you could've just lost your rear interior and re-located your battery to the rear of the car for better weight distribution. unless you're competitively racing your car for BIG $$$, you just de-valued your steet car buy quite a lot of money. really though, if you want to go faster at the track... take a driving course, get better tires, better suspension, better seats, then maybe more power. better driving could EASILY cover the margin of driving around with no dash?!

·
Banned
159 Posts
Re: Lose weight (ellion)

h2 zero, if you want to go faster in a staight line down the street..... get more power. without getting too technical, winning a drag-race comes down to a decent driver.... and more power than the other guy. which equals $$$.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Re: Lose weight (MXTHOR3)

Try running smaller, lighter wheels. 15" and under with sticky tires. Lose the backseat and all 'uneccessary' trim. No stereo or A/C. No spare tire, carry a can of 'flat tire goop'.
Basically, evaluate what you can live with and without, and go from there.
Or as in today's quickie way out, NNNAAAWWWZZZ!!!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: Lose weight (PerfectGLi)

I think the back seat is even less than 30lns - its pretty light...
drain the washer fluid

take out the AC and all AC parts (incl the rad thingie in the vent box)
remove spare tire
remvoce carpet and pass seat

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re: Lose weight (ewongkaizen)

try removeing unneeded fluid! (washer fluid like sum-1 said
) and I removed my carpet, headliner,spare tire and rear and pass seats i nmy gti and got a sparco Evo 1 seat! (it weighs like 8 lbs!) and i stripped the doors and put plexi glass in insted of real "heavy" glass! and some people take off bumpers and even hoods!!!! I have had a friend take his dash out like that 1 guy did, but if u want the car too look the way it does.... just get a bigger engine or tune ur engine!

Bryce b ([email protected])

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Lose weight (vw1990jettamk2)

Guys thanks for the reply...much appreciated. Power to weight only applies if bith cars are the same at least in terms of weight. My MK 2 and my firends a MK1 so there is a big difference in weight. The enginwe set-up is...I would say almost the same. However I will give your suggestion a try however if there is any other suggestion, its muost welcome....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts