VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the story. I was working on the rabbit when I accidentally dropped a screw behind the camshaft sprocket. I don't know if regular cam sprockets are solid, but my Autotech timing gear is. The only possible way to get the screw back was to take the timing belt off of the cam sprocket, and take the sprocket appart. Try as I might, upon putting it all back together, the timing was off and the car wouldnt start. I tried to adjust it a little at a time to get the car to run, but it wouldn't catch. Took it to a shop, they timed it for me and said it was a royal pain because of some slippage or something, but I have it back now.
Now, the car feels heavily power starved. It doesn't seem to pull as hard as it did before all this happened. Granted, the gearing was set at retard one, and now it is zero, but that shouldnt make this big of a difference. On my sudo-performance testing, I can normally get the car up to 57-60 before I hit the marker in the road, I only got it to 54mph today. Something is wrong, the car is different. On the ups, the car runs much smoother, and starts right up, even moreso then before.
Can anyone help me out with what is going on? It is bugging me! Im going to adjust the cam gearing tomorrow to retard 2 to see if it makes any real noticable difference in returning the car to its previous status, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: Loss of power upon timing belt retimed...whats going on??? (Ares33rc)

ON my 91 jetta, the dealer had changed out my timing belt and mistakenly installed the timing belt 1 tooth off. I had the same symptoms, loss of power and all that good stuff. Took it back and they checked it out, found the problem and fixed it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Loss of power upon timing belt retimed...whats going on??? (vr6dub)

Quote, originally posted by vr6dub »
ON my 91 jetta, the dealer had changed out my timing belt and mistakenly installed the timing belt 1 tooth off. I had the same symptoms, loss of power and all that good stuff. Took it back and they checked it out, found the problem and fixed it.

Hmm, anyone else have this problem. This might be it for the guy said the belt was a royal pain in the ass because it kept slipping. Took him nearly 3.5 hours. I'd feel real bad taking it back and making him fix it, but that might be just what I end up doing.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Help, Bently doesnt have the answer!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts

It certainly sounds like the timing is off.
It's really not that hard to check if you have the Bentley in front of you.
Pull the top timing belt cover, line everything up and check. If it's off, take it back to the guy. If it took the guy 3.5 hours he's likely not experienced with this procedure, which makes it all the more likely that it is not done correctly.
Almost forgot; After you get the mechanical timing right, make sure and check the ignition timing. Important to do after a timing belt change - taking slack out of the timing belt effects the ignition timing.
He took your money to do the job, it's his responsibility that it is correct.
fat biker

Modified by fat biker at 8:04 AM 5-21-2004

Modified by fat biker at 8:09 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Loss of power upon timing belt retimed...whats going on??? (fat biker)

I agree with Fat Biker as the mechanical timing is probably off.
The adjustable cam spocket needs to be set at "O" so the basic mechanical relationship between the crankshaft and camshaft can be set.
There are only three elements of the mechanical timing:
(1) Crankshaft timing so Number 1 piston is at its TDC (top dead center)
(2) Camshaft timing so both Number 1 intake & exhaust valves are closed
(3) Intermediate shaft set so the distributor rotor is pointing at Number 1 spark plug wire on distributor cap.
The Bentley is very clear on this procedure. Replacement of a timing belt should only be a 30 minute job, providing you have direct access to the timing belt (ie no timing belt covers). Good luck, WWR.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Loss of power upon timing belt retimed...whats going on??? (WackyWabbitRacer)

Thanks Fat Biker and WWR. Timing was off and I took it back to him and they fixed it up. Runs just like before now. Thanks for the help!
Ares

1 - 7 of 7 Posts