VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In early December I was going back to school in Newark, and I was pulled over a block from my school. The cop thought it looked like my inspection sticker was expired. I drive a 2004 Crossfire. 3 months old. WTF? He then asked me for my license, insurance and registration. I proceeded to get out my license and insurance and hand it to him. I told him I had to find my registration, and to give me a sec. Since my car was brand new, I still had the registration card attached to the 8.5x11 piece of paper it comes in, and missed it while I was looking for a little card. Wasn't more than a minute before I find it, and I go to give it to him, and hes already back in his car. He comes back to the car and tells me hes going to give me a ticket for "failure to exhibit documents". I then show him my registration, and he tells me "Sorry, you're a little too late," and then leaves. At this point I'm upset, because obviously I should have not received any ticket, and I knew I was being taken advantage of. I then looked at the fine and it was $173!!
Now I'm really pissed. I knew I had to fight it.
I went to court yesterday in Newark to fight the ticket. As soon as I talked to the Prosecutor, he told me he would give me a plea deal and dismiss the charges. Awesome. All I had to do was wait for my turn in front of the judge and verify the plea. Judge calls my name, I go up, and asks me if I agreed to the plea deal, and I say yes. He says ok, the charges are dismissed, court costs are $50.
. Awesome. I was innocent of any wrongdoing, but still get reamed in the ass by the courts. Not to mention the $6.00 it cost me to park in the municipal lot. Great justice.
That very same day, on my way back from the gym with my friend, I was driving by my old highschool, which is right next to our police station. I have lived in the same town for my whole life, and attended that highschool, so if there is one place I know not to speed it is in that area. I was not speeding, I was actually going under the speed limit, driving by and looking at the student parking lot, where an M3 and a STi parked next to each other caught my eye. I continue on and see a police SUV coming towards me the opposite direction, so I immediately look at my spedo, even though I knew I wasn't speeding. A hair under 35, which is the speed limit. Continue another 100 feet and notice flashing lights in my rearview mirror from a crown vic police cruiser. There is one car behind me, and he pulls off the road to let him pass, and so do I, figuring hes going out on a call. He pulls up behind me, and comes to my window. "I am giving you a ticket for speeding, 52 in a 35." Me and my passenger just sit there in shock. I said "that's impossible, where did you clock me?". "I paced you from the schools parking lot." He then goes back to the cruiser and comes back with the ticket. Great. I was pissed, so I thought it wise not to talk to the cop anymore after this and went home.
I was not speeding. Not in any shape or form of the word. I wasn't "not speeding" by going 40, I was actually under the limit. The cop gave me a fabricated ticket plain and simple. It is a 4 point ticket, and I'm 20 and I have no points on my license, so it's going to go up big time. I can't believe that a police officer, a public servant, can just abuse his powers like that. Since I was "paced" it is just my word against the cops. We all know what side the court favors.
I am frustrated and feel taken advantage of. Sorry for the long post, but I had to get it out. Not looking for any pity, just upset over the abuse of power displayed by both officers. Really sucks.

· Registered
9,442 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (mightyjlr)

Sell the Crossfire man, some bad mojo at work there. Wasn't it badly keyed-up a few months ago too? I remember someone posting pics of scratched-up black Crossfire, can't remember if it was you.

Modified by Old school at 3:00 AM 1-9-2004

· Registered
4,409 Posts
I think you can fight that. I dont think he could have paced you long enough to get your average speed. Unless he was going approx that speed in a parking lot. Dont cops have to pace you over a certain distance before determining your speed ?
So if you say you were not speeding, I think you can fight this ticket and get it thrown out.

· Registered
4,369 Posts
Out of all the posts about injustices by the police/judicial system I read on the vortex, this is one of the few I actually believe.
As far as your first story, I cannot believe you were ticketed for failing to produce documents. If I were pulled over this morning before work I would have had to search just like you did.
I'm truly sorry about what happened to you, but don't lose all faith -- I know many folks in law enforcement who are great people and really take the "protect and serve" part of the job seriously. Please keep us updated.

· Registered
1,803 Posts

Sorry about your rotten luck lately, that stinks.
I'm curious, if you wouldn't have accepted the plea and won, would you still have been charged court fees? I figure it would have been a pretty easy case to win if you had talked to the judge about it, etc. I've never been in that situation but I'm thinking that you wouldn't have been charged... why should it cost you money if they were proven wrong? Perhaps it was because of this that the prosecuter was eager to plea out the charges.

Modified by lndsld17 at 4:59 AM 1-9-2004

· Registered
7,789 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (lndsld17)

...like i had any faith in them to begin with? Firefighters and EMS folks are the life savers, most, and I say MOST police officers are criminals with a badge and a brotherhood to cover each others donut filled butt!

i feel sooo much better now

· Banned
4,083 Posts

Don't you get the chance to go to traffic school, so that the ticket gets taken off your record??
Here in California, if you get a ticket, you have a chance to go to traffic school instead of fighting it. If you fight it and you loose, then you have to pay the ticket, and it stays on your driving record, then your insurance goes up too. If you go to traffic school, you have to pay the ticket, and the traffic school, but it gets erased from your driving record permanently. As long as you let 18 months pass between each traffic violation

· Registered
4,369 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (Leweyb)

Quote, originally posted by Leweyb »
...like i had any faith in them to begin with? Firefighters and EMS folks are the life savers, most, and I say MOST police officers are criminals with a badge and a brotherhood to cover each others donut filled butt!

Let's not turn this into an officer bashing thread. If you have evidence that will back up your claim that "MOST police officers are criminals" then by all means post it and corrrect my ignorance.

· Registered
10,107 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (euclid)

Sounds like you just have a black cloud over your head. That's how life is, I guess, but you do have my sympathy! I'd be incredibly pissed, too, mostly because there is nothing you can do. It's his word against yours.

· Registered
6,522 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (Leweyb)

Quote, originally posted by Leweyb »

Right. So I guess when I get on scene 5 minutes or so before EMS/Firefighters and start administering CPR or pull body's from accidents when the car is burning to the ground, or like last sumer when I had the pleasure of rescuing a man from his car that got smashed head-on by a city bus that I have no life saving skills. Even if you are being sarcastic I don't think it is funny.

As for the author of the thread, you have a witness that you were under the speed-limit. That is 2 against one. That will beat the officer in court. Especially because it was a pace and not a radar/laser. Get your passenger to go to court with you. Also let them know that you have a good record. Good driving records are made by safe drivers, not careless speeders.

· Registered
27,959 Posts
Re: (euclid)

New Jersey cops are known to give out tickets when people take too long to produce documents. I just heard of this happening in New Brunswick last month. Next time, buy a corrado, our wings are cooler...

· Administrator Emeritus
19,628 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (jacobyb)

Quote, originally posted by jacobyb »

Right. So I guess when I get on scene 5 minutes or so before EMS/Firefighters and start administering CPR or pull body's from accidents when the car is burning to the ground, or like last sumer when I had the pleasure of rescuing a man from his car that got smashed head-on by a city bus that I have no life saving skills. Even if you are being sarcastic I don't think it is funny.

As for the author of the thread, you have a witness that you were under the speed-limit. That is 2 against one. That will beat the officer in court. Especially because it was a pace and not a radar/laser. Get your passenger to go to court with you. Also let them know that you have a good record. Good driving records are made by safe drivers, not careless speeders.

Yeah, Jacob, I mean, obviously, man, we all know that the only reason that you took an underpaid, overworked, underappreciated job where the people you're trying to help frequently actively try to kill you for doing it is that you're a fat, lazy, corrupt, donut-eating criminal. I mean, you're not fooling anyone... it's obvious.

I'm sorry that you have to put up with comments like that.
-Tim

· Registered
6,522 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (SilverSLC)

Quote, originally posted by SilverSLC »

Yeah, Jacob, I mean, obviously, man, we all know that the only reason that you took an underpaid, overworked, underappreciated job where the people you're trying to help frequently actively try to kill you for doing it is that you're a fat, lazy, corrupt, donut-eating criminal. I mean, you're not fooling anyone... it's obvious.

I'm sorry that you have to put up with comments like that.
-Tim

Tell me about it. I run 6 miles a day and I haven't had a donut in over 3 years.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Re: (euclid)

I gotta agree and I think you might have a few bad apples there. Having worked in Newark I know they have some great cops and a few who are working there only for the rush and the rush of power but not a majority by any stretch of the imagination. Try going on a few ride alongs and get your name known to the guys as a supporter of what the good ones are doing and you'll not only learn a few things but I'd imagine you'd stop getting b.s. tickets.
Quote, originally posted by euclid »
Out of all the posts about injustices by the police/judicial system I read on the vortex, this is one of the few I actually believe.
As far as your first story, I cannot believe you were ticketed for failing to produce documents. If I were pulled over this morning before work I would have had to search just like you did.
I'm truly sorry about what happened to you, but don't lose all faith -- I know many folks in law enforcement who are great people and really take the "protect and serve" part of the job seriously. Please keep us updated.

· Registered
2,853 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (SilverSLC)

I hate American cops; most people do. Why? because the most frequent experience we have with them is when they stop us and take our money. Highway robbers, plain and simple. And then when we need them, like we get robbed or something, they say "tough bananas, you're just out of luck, we don't care, it's your problem."
Maybe if cops would try to help people instead of taking pleasure in hassling them, we wouldn't hate them. But the fact is that lots of cops are just those bullies from high school, now with guns and badges so they can go on bullying people.
You don't like being hated? Then speak out against your fellow cops who abuse their authority. You know it happens, so quietly accepting it makes you an accomplice. Don't come here crying for sympathy. I can cite a dozen or more cases where the cops screwed me, and not one where they helped me.

· Registered
6,335 Posts
Re: (pkagel)

Quote, originally posted by pkagel »
Try going on a few ride alongs and get your name known to the guys as a supporter of what the good ones are doing and you'll not only learn a few things but I'd imagine you'd stop getting b.s. tickets.

Agreed http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I recently went on a ride along and I have gained greater respect for police officers. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
14 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (Dubai Vol)

Quote, originally posted by Dubai Vol »
I hate American cops; most people do. Why? because the most frequent experience we have with them is when they stop us and take our money. Highway robbers, plain and simple.

How are they robbers? Because they make you pay the penalty for breaking the law? You don't want to pay traffic fines? Fine - don't break any traffic laws, then.
Quote »

Maybe if cops would try to help people instead of taking pleasure in hassling them, we wouldn't hate them. But the fact is that lots of cops are just those bullies from high school, now with guns and badges so they can go on bullying people.

And a lot of the people who spend so much time whining about cops and how mean they are are the same irresponsible whiners that took no responsibility for themselves and never grew out of childhood. I'm not making this judgement about you, but a lot of people who make statements like yours are that way.
There are also a whole lot of cops out there who are plain ol' good folks trying to do a very hard job. Until you've walked a mile in the moccasins of a cop, I suggest you close your piehole.
Quote »

You don't like being hated? Then speak out against your fellow cops who abuse their authority. You know it happens, so quietly accepting it makes you an accomplice.

How do you know what he does or doesn't do?
-Moltar

· Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (Moltar)

Quote »
Until you've walked a mile in the moccasins of a cop, I suggest you close your piehole.

I love how people throw this cliche out like it holds alot of weight.
How many police officers have been in regular, law-abiding citizens shoeswho get harrassed by police for just being black, driving the wrong car, or in the wrong neighborhood?
I know, not many of you.

· Registered
14 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (CS VW)

I am not a cop, but I happen to know several cops who have had exactly what you described happen to them when out of uniform. A couple of them are black, too.
How many of us who aren't cops have been shot at, stabbed, attacked, spit on, etc for doing our jobs?
-Moltar

· Registered
6,335 Posts
Re: Lost my faith in police officers/judicial system. (CS VW)

You are complaining about profiling, which you are doing yourself. It is easy to make blanket statements. Your point is that it is wrong to pull someover just for driving in a certain neighborhood, thats profiling. Yet you profile and argue that all cops are criminals. Its not right what happened, but you can't judge every cop based on that experience.

Modified by deepspeed12 at 9:44 AM 1-9-2004

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.