VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a real car person, but enjoy tinkering, so I have now met my match...can anyone help with this?
Whenever I go over a large bump , there is a large thump from the left rear of the car. If I go over the same bump with only the right rear tire, very little or no sound. If I go over with just the left, there is a big thump. If I go over a bump with the whole car, the sound seems to migrate to the middle rear of the car. It sounds as if it is coming from the tire area, though.
I immediately thought it would be the shocks, and replaced those last night. It didn't help. So after the failed test drive, I went home, emptied out the trunk, tightened the spare tire and still no better.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

· Registered
7,521 Posts
Re: Loud clunk when going over bumps (DubGeek)

Quote, originally posted by DubGeek »
Exhaust system.

My first guess as well. Used to have a problem with the exhaust pipe hitting the rear axle beam.

· Registered
3,240 Posts
Re: Loud clunk when going over bumps (lizard2806)

Quote, originally posted by lizard2806 »
I am not a real car person, but enjoy tinkering, so I have now met my match...can anyone help with this?
Whenever I go over a large bump , there is a large thump from the left rear of the car. If I go over the same bump with only the right rear tire, very little or no sound. If I go over with just the left, there is a big thump. If I go over a bump with the whole car, the sound seems to migrate to the middle rear of the car. It sounds as if it is coming from the tire area, though.
I immediately thought it would be the shocks, and replaced those last night. It didn't help. So after the failed test drive, I went home, emptied out the trunk, tightened the spare tire and still no better.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you have the same problem I had, if thats true all you need to do is to tighten this bolt in your suspension
I'm not a computer person so I cant figure out how to put the pic on here
, but anyway the bolt is on your strut, if you look under behind your back brake its on the bottom of that piece behind your spring http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif hope this works for you

· Registered
1,287 Posts
Re: Loud clunk when going over bumps (VWdriver03)

Quote, originally posted by VWdriver03 »

I could be wrong but it sounds like you have the same problem I had, if thats true all you need to do is to tighten this bolt in your suspension
I'm not a computer person so I cant figure out how to put the pic on here
, but anyway the bolt is on your strut, if you look under behind your back brake its on the bottom of that piece behind your spring http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif hope this works for you

also make sure your upper shock mount bolts are tighten as well. if you tightened everything and the sounds is still there, you may need to change your rear upper shock mounts. I had a similar situation, but my sounds were more of a "klunk" when going over small bumps, especially with a full house. The rear passenger was the worst, that's why I knew it wasn't the exhaust. After I changed the rear upper shock mounts, the klunks have disappeared from my rear driver side and there's still a little klunking sound at my rear passenger. At least I was able to solve half the problem. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.