VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to working on cars, so I apologize in advance for my stupidity.
Under moderate braking a very low speeds, 20mph and under, I get a very loud creaky sound when the weight of the car shifts forward. No clunking (I do get that when I'm turning starting out in first or backing up...usually just one clunk) just a very loud creaking noise.....like a large medal door.
I've tried jumping on the brakes at higher speeds, but I don't hear anything. I only get it at low speeds. I've tried pulling on the motor when not running and nothing. I push down on the front end while engine is off and no noise at all.
I know it's probably not much to go off....but any ideas?
Car is bone stock. Let me know if I should post in another forum...or Mods feel free to move.
TIA
Brett

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: Loud Creaking Noise Under Braking (vwmidge)

Your rear brake pads may be worn down to the point that the front
is taking to up the slack... I'd check all the pads.. but I would bet
you need to put new ones one the back fer sure.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It could also mean that your control arm bushings are starting to give up the ghost or that the center rusted, therefore producing that annoying sound.

·
Banned
791 Posts

I am getting the same sound. I replaced all my rotors and pads and it was fine for the first 1,000 miles. then I started getting that clunking noise at low speed stops. It never made the noise before I did the brakes. I think it might be the calipers shifting forward or something. I have been to busy to get back under the car. It stops on a dime. WTF

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Loud Creaking Noise Under Braking (Skwurlz)

The sound is not coming from the brakes though...it's coming from somewhere else.

·
Banned
791 Posts

I was thinking it could be the brake pedal lever engaging the master cylinder right in front of the drivers position but on the other side of the firewall. ???

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Loud Creaking Noise Under Braking (Skwurlz)

Control arm bushings....just got word that both need to be replaced. They are not a safety issue yet, just got to live with the loud noise.
Needless to say, with $1500 in repairs over the last 6 weeks I can just about say I'm done with this car....it's only got 48k and I don't drive the car hard. I don't know...maybe I'm over reacting and will calm down once I get it back...but I don't want to keep waking up wondering what expensive part might brake this day.

EDIT: Good call cheebs. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts