VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to working on cars, so I apologize in advance for my stupidity.
Under moderate braking a very low speeds, 20mph and under, I get a very loud creaky sound when the weight of the car shifts forward. No clunking (I do get that when I'm turning starting out in first or backing up...usually just one clunk) just a very loud creaking noise.....like a large medal door.
I've tried jumping on the brakes at higher speeds, but I don't hear anything. I only get it at low speeds. I've tried pulling on the motor when not running and nothing. I push down on the front end while engine is off and no noise at all.
I know it's probably not much to go off....but any ideas?
Car is bone stock.
TIA
Brett

·
Registered
853 Posts
Re: Loud Creaky Noise Under Braking (vwmidge)

How many miles are on the car? What kind of condition do you drive in? Do you drive the car hard? Do you have aftermarket wheels. Are you experiencing memory steer? Do you have uneven tread wear? increased tire toe wear
To me this sounds like a front end problem. I have had lots of customers have problems with creaking that could be a number of things. Strut casing, ball joints control arm bushings. The clunk in probable a bushing though. But these are all things that you should have looked at. If you dont want to spend money there is a simple test that can help you determine whats wrond.
1. Jack the front of you car up. not on the control arm or any suspension components or the oil pan *shudders*
2. grab either front tire with 2 hands on either side longitudaly and try to rock it side to side. There should be no play. Then do the same verticaly there to should be no play. If there is you may have a front end problem.
But like i said earlier we gotta have more details to help you diagnose.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Loud Creaky Noise Under Braking (Oxide_Imports)

48k. Mid-West weather (lots of ice recently). I do not drive the car hard. I'm not sure what you mean by memory steer....but the steering has not changed. No uneven tread.

·
Registered
853 Posts

memory steer is when you turn the wheel while in motion and the wheel does not return to center. This can be cause by your strut tower bearing siezing up. which in some cases makes a creaking noise. However i doubt this would be your problem. Im thinking more tie rod, ball joint, bushing problems. Either have it looked at by a mechanic or try the check i wrote above. Also, check both your front 2 tires and make sure the tread depth is the same. you can buy a tread depth gauge at any auto parts store for a few bucks. if there is a big difference between the two chances are you have a front end problem. Also check the entire face of the tire and make sure the tread wear pattern is equal. you could have a toe or camber wear which is evidence of a tie rod ball joint, control arm problem.

Modified by Oxide_Imports at 11:21 AM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Good call Oxide....both contral arm bushings need to be replaced. The tech said they are not a safety issue yet and probably won't be for awhile, I just have to live with the loud creaking. They quoted me $5-600 to replace....is that about right? Add it on top of the $500 for a new injector and plug wire for #5...plus the $400 for a new coil pack last month...and boy I'm paying a lot for my Jetta so far in 2004!

·
Registered
853 Posts

Should NOT be 5-600 you are getting hosed on your prices. Your best bet for control arm bushings would be going to an alignment shop. They can help you out for so much cheaper. Any other questions let me know. Im a front end tech so i can help you out if need be

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yea when he said it would be between $5-600 I said no thanks. Another Dubber here on the Tex is going to lend his serives. My question to you is...should we replace the controls arms as well, or should we just replace the bushings? He does have access to a press, so I would rather just do the bushings. Also, where is the best place to buy the bushings? I was looking at parts4vw.com.
Thanks for your help Oxide.
BTW...is this kind of problem commom with only 48k miles? So far in the last 5 weeks I've had the ignition coil pack replaced, two plug wires have gone bad, #5 injector replaced and now the bushings. Is this a sign that maybe it's time to sell?

·
Registered
853 Posts

make sure you buy a upgraded set of urethane bushings. They should be easy to put in.. The control arms should be fine to keep in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts