VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 V8 Toaureg and it has been in for service numerous times. It shifts very hard down through the gears when coming to a stop. It also has a "fluttering " noise when I accelerate hard. This noise kind of sounds like when you were a kid and put a baseball card in the spokes of your bike. I have driven another 2004 V8 and that one did NOT make this noise. Has anyone had similar issues?
-BM

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Re: Loud Fluttering & Transmission Problems? (bobbymoosa)

Quote, originally posted by bobbymoosa »
I have a 2004 V8 Toaureg and it has been in for service numerous times. It shifts very hard down through the gears when coming to a stop. It also has a "fluttering " noise when I accelerate hard. This noise kind of sounds like when you were a kid and put a baseball card in the spokes of your bike. I have driven another 2004 V8 and that one did NOT make this noise. Has anyone had similar issues?
-BM

what's the last 5 digits of your vin?
i think this is the sound of the "2nd generation", "sporty" exhaust.
my early vin truck does have a lil' bit of this popping sound on full throttle. the 2nd gen exhaust is even louder though.
this problem has been discussed a couple of times. search the archives of the touareg forum.

· Registered
177 Posts

I have a 2004 V8 Toaureg and it has been in for service numerous times. It also has a "fluttering " noise when I accelerate hard. This noise kind of sounds like when you were a kid and put a baseball card in the spokes of your bike. I have driven another 2004 V8 and that one did NOT make this noise. Has anyone had similar issues?
-BM

Is your sunroof open when accelerating hard and the "fluttering" noise is present?

· Registered
231 Posts
Re: Loud Fluttering & Transmission Problems? (sd986)

I got the 'Fluttering' noise just the other day in my early '05 VIN V8.
It is, without question coming from the engine, not the exhaust or the sunroof. It sounds strangely like the Butterfly Valves on a Ducati V Twin when the throttle-bodies are not synched. This has only happened once on me and it was when I floored it from a near stop, to get out of the way of some nozzle who was fiddling w. his radio or something and not watching traffic in front of him.
Mine also has that issue where it seems to camp out in 2nd when shifting from Reverse or moving below 10mph, then it suddenly drops into 1st and will lurch forward. I've gotten used to it now, and I don't think its worth letting the stealer-monkeys in there to screw around w. it.
I have a feeling this will turn out to be fixable w. CAN BUS Flash or VAG setting though. Wonder if this could be related to the old issue w. the Phaetons (we share the same motor), when you used to hit the gas and it would just sit there for a second or two then take off like a bat out of hell.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Loud Fluttering & Transmission Problems? (Treg_John)

I guess the fluttering that i hear from what i think is the exhaust system is normal. the thing that concerns me is i have had this to 2 dealers and the service advisor at one says it is not a normal sound and the tech says it is a normal sound. At the other VW dealer the tech says it is not a normal sound and the advisor says it is a normal sound. As far as it shifting HARD down through the gears I have the same feeling of it LURCHING forward, unfortunately i was not prepared once when this happened and i hit someone. It was not serious but it definitely caught me off guard.
The dealer has "flashed" the computer for the shifting problems but it has not stopped the problem. They even told me they hooked the car up to the internet so VW corporate in Germany could flash it as well. Needless to say this did not work. My dealer says they are aware of the problem but there is NO solid fix yet.
I have proceeded with an attorney.(lemon law) I do have a court date set for January '06.
Has anyone had any luck with getting out of the vehicle?
Thanks for your response.

· Registered
1,327 Posts

I have proceeded with an attorney.(lemon law) I do have a court date set for January '06.
Has anyone had any luck with getting out of the vehicle?
Thanks for your response.

Many 2004 V8 owners(myself included) have this same issue with the tranny. I have had two flashes done to no avail. I drove an 05 and found the tranny much smoother. I was told this situation is known by VW and it is simply accepted that the 2004 V8's shift roughly

Many, many on this forum have had their 2004's bought back or replaced. Do a search and you will find what you are looking for. The skinny- get a lawyer if you want it done quickly. VWOA will drag its feet otherwise.

· Registered
231 Posts
Re: Loud Fluttering & Transmission Problems? (chickdr)

Well thanks ChkDr and BobbyMoosa, you've both confirmed my previous impression that there's no solid fix for the Tranny or the Engine/Valve flutter issues (yet).
If you're careful when shifting/parking, the trani issue is managable. W. regard to engine flutter: I keep the RPM's down and I don't 'floor' the throttle anymore. There's no need to do that anyway, its a 310HP V8.
If either of these issues were to worsen, I would be following in your footsteps. Not OK to pay $50K for a vehicle you're not really happy with. Period.

Oh, and the engine flutter/clicking noise occurred again today. If you roll the windows down and accelerate past 3,800 rpm. You'll hear it and it's not subtle. All of my 3 passengers noticed it...

Modified by Treg_John at 2:51 PM 9-15-2005

Modified by Treg_John at 2:52 PM 9-15-2005

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.