VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 91 GLI
I've noticed this since I started driving this car. There is a loud pop sound that happens when I turn the wheel past a certain point. I notice it mostly when I'm backing out of my parking spot to the left in the morning. The sounds is accompanied by me feeling the "pop". I've been driving it this way for awhile, and of course it's gotten a bit worse, but it doesn't really affect driving and is not always noticeable.
When I got the car I swapped over the spring/strut/strut bearing set from my other GLI, and they were fine at that point. I also replaced the ball joints and control arm bushings at the same time. The half shafts have also been replaced, and the outer tie rod ends don't feel loose.
This should lead me to suspect the rack or innner tie rods, correct? Anybody have experience with a similar problem? If so, what ended up fixing it?
Thanks,

·
Registered
277 Posts
Re: Loud pop sound/feel when I turn my wheel (yellow68)

i think my sister's jetta does the same thing. kinda like it goes over a bump when u turn. the resistance instantly changes after it and u need a little more force to get over it. i think it's the rack on hers. alignment place said the same. but hey, who cares what they say lol

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Loud pop sound/feel when I turn my wheel (blue8v)

I think I'm going to change my rack out soon so I'll post whether or not it helped after I do it.

·
Registered
125 Posts

My 91 gli also does this once in a while. After I got my car aligned last year and the tech and I took it for a spin. When backing out of a driveway after turning around it did it and I asked him what it was. He said it was the inner sway bar bushings. I have not had a chance to pull them out and check them, but I know they have never been changed. The shop is very good import shop and he was a senior tech, but still have not tried to replace the bushings yet so I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Re: Loud pop sound/feel when I turn my wheel (SYR16VGLI)

could also be tie rod ends, they like to pop when they wear out.
My steering pops too and its caused by one of the universal joints on the shaft that connects the steering column to the rack.
Have a friend wiggle the steering wheel while you look for movement on ALL the steering related parts....shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Re: Loud pop sound/feel when I turn my wheel (Swollen)

My 85 used to do that.. I never did find out what it was.
^and mike, I just noticed your sig, lol!

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Re: Loud pop sound/feel when I turn my wheel (lyledriver)

Hey ray what's up? It could be your springs catching and then releasing. I know coilovers are notorious for this if they are the multiple springs ones. Could also be your strut bearing.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts

not sure if it's the same noise, but my car quit doing that when i replaced one of the tie rods. i've also had A1's that did it when the front springs were cut and they would become unseated in the strut.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Loud pop sound/feel when I turn my wheel (EbraketurnGTI)

Very interesting. I'll have to get under the car and look. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts

mine was a blown rear drivers side motor mount.. jack the engine up with the car on the groudn to check....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Try this: lift your hood, watch the tops of the struts as you turn your wheels from side to side. You may see the top of the strut move from side to side. Mine does the same thing, but only at very low speeds and extreme wheel angles, and it appears to be a worn strut bearing. At least that's my opinion on the matter.
Edit: the steering rack and the tie rods are new, no problems there. It still does it. Just another possibility.

Modified by money2burn at 2:32 PM 7-3-2003

·
Registered
957 Posts
Re: Loud pop sound/feel when I turn my wheel (1987&2001Jettas)

Quote, originally posted by 1987&2001Jettas »
Hey ray what's up? It could be your springs catching and then releasing. I know coilovers are notorious for this if they are the multiple springs ones. Could also be your strut bearing.

yea i kinda tend to believe this is the case as well, shouldnt be that big of an issue though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts