VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a 1986 Scirocco Deluxe 1.8 8v 5MT, and when driving it home from the place I purchased it from, had a oil pressure light come on when cruising at 80 km/h. The oil pressure light came on after about 10 minutes of driving, and turned off when I slowed down (30 seconds later, (I didn't pull over because I was near my house)). The engine was rebuilt by the previous owner, and he put a new oil pan on the vehicle (has cooling fins), I'm wondering if the dipstick is applicable with the new oil pan he got. I did an oil change today and about 4.75 quarts came out of the engine, when looking up the recommended amount of oil to put in the engine it was 4 quarts, would this cause a oil pressure issue? I'm also thinking it might be one of the oil pressure sensors, but I came on here to get some suggestions on what it might be.

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,722 Posts
No guessing.
Put an oil pressure gauge on it, see what it reads. Drive the car, see if it maintains oil pressure as it should.
If that checks out, then diagnose the oil pressure warning system.

If you end up just needing to replace the pressure switch(es), be warned that most aftermarket oil pressure switches are garbage, in my experience. The extra money for Genuine VW parts is worth it.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I did an oil change today and about 4.75 quarts came out of the engine, when looking up the recommended amount of oil to put in the engine it was 4 quarts, would this cause a oil pressure issue?
Just an FYI that many replacement oil pans were 5 quart capacity.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
I highly doubt if 1 quart low will give you a low pressure at freeway speeds. Yes, it can, but most likely not.

I have a Caddy and it consumed so much oil I never changed the oil in 60k miles. Yeah, 60k. When the oil got to 2.5 quarts low, that is when the light would come on. Of course, going around corners was worst. It's fixed so I change oil are regular intervals now.

I agree with parts, get OEM parts. Stay away from Meyle/URO parts. Do yourself a favor and test the oil pressure. Get the engine oil really hot [20-30 mins on freeway] and then test it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No guessing.
Put an oil pressure gauge on it, see what it reads. Drive the car, see if it maintains oil pressure as it should.
If that checks out, then diagnose the oil pressure warning system.

If you end up just needing to replace the pressure switch(es), be warned that most aftermarket oil pressure switches are garbage, in my experience. The extra money for Genuine VW parts is worth it.
I ended up doing an oil change, and switched the oil type from 10w-30 to 20w50 and haven't got an oil pressure light since. I did order a pressure gauge and a new sensor. But since my temp tag ran out I can't really drive the car right now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I bought my 84 GTI (new) the oil light would come on at hi speed (well, higher than 50 mph)
After a lot of trips to dealer, i checked pressure - it was fine.
Turns out the battery ground cable that bolts to the trans mount in that chassis was loose - (surprising it didnt cause starting issues!)
Fixing the ground cable attachment solved that issue ( and I was the one that ended up diagnosing and fixing as the dealer couldnt resolve it !)

On the same topic of grounding - our 86 scirocco 16 v was difficult to start when hot - again , the dreaded ground cable to chassis connect was issue
Wee replaced the roccos ground cable with a mk3 cable and attached it to the trans housing with a mk3 transmission stud that mk3 uses to attach ground cable
no more hot start issue
dunno if this will help you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.