VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil and did a DSG service on my own Thursday. I used the below oil to do the changes for both:

Oil: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZQ4KDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DSG: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGPR1HW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I drove it on Friday perfectly fine and it was running great. Yesterday as I was driving it back to my house, as I was slowing down to a stop, I could hear a rattle. Knew it was weird just knowing my car, but didn't think much of it. A mile later, I got the Oil Pressure Low, STOP ENGINE warning. I had 3 miles left to my house and drove it there. Turned it on on Sunday and that rattle was still there. This has never happened and not too sure what I could have done by just changing the oil and DSG.

·
Registered
2008 VW Rabbit, MT, 3-door
217 Posts
The rattle and oil pressure warning is from the engine, so we can focus only on the engine oil.

What is the oil level?
Is the filter good quality? Could it collapse and restrict flow?
Of course - did you add enough oil?
And - any chance you lost all oil?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Use only OEM, Mann, Hengst filters only. STP, Fram, etc. Collapse and starve engine of oil. My son went through this with Fram filters.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vagguy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rattle and oil pressure warning is from the engine, so we can focus only on the engine oil.

What is the oil level?
Is the filter good quality? Could it collapse and restrict flow?
Of course - did you add enough oil?
And - any chance you lost all oil?
The filter I'm using is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DRHMPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just went out to check and the stick is bone dry. I'm so confused. I added around 4.5L when I did it.

·
Registered
2008 VW Rabbit, MT, 3-door
217 Posts
The filter I'm using is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DRHMPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just went out to check and the stick is bone dry. I'm so confused. I added around 4.5L when I did it.
How many miles did you drive?

your engine is consuming it or you have a leak. im betting its been consumed and a knock is bad news bear
C'mon, 4.5 liters of oil consumed? That is either a diesel or runaway engine. It would take a few thousand miles to burn this much oil and still - it would puff smoke like a dragon.

Any physical damage to the oil pan? Loose or stripped plug?

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I think this is a BS post just pushing links to items from Amazon, Op wont even answer simple questions like what engine type is in this MK5???

So the warning comes on and you keep driving it, don't even stop to check the level or see if you have a leak. Get home wait a day or two to then check level find the stick dry. Did you add oil back to get it to the correct level or did you drain oil & filter and try again??

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I think this is a BS post just pushing links to items from Amazon
I'm not sure I'd attribute this to pushing items on Amazon... I think he was just showing which products he used.

This the first time doing an oil/filter change on this 2.0T?
Where are you seeing that it's a 2.0T? Since he put in 4.5 liters of oil, and is using the correct Mann filter for a 2.5, I'd assume that's what he's got. It would be nice if he'd specify that...

In this case, it's a good VW 502.00-spec engine oil; and the correct Mann filter.

Dumb question.... But is OP sure he installed the drain plug correctly (and used a new one, since the crush washer isn't reusable)?

And that he popped the orange drain valve in the filter housing closed again after draining the housing?

And that the filter housing was installed back correctly?

And that the filter housing gasket was changed? Not missing or double-installed?

Seems to me that losing that much oil in such a short time indicates a major oil leak somewhere. Is there a puddle of oil under the car?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think this is a BS post just pushing links to items from Amazon, Op wont even answer simple questions like what engine type is in this MK5???

So the warning comes on and you keep driving it, don't even stop to check the level or see if you have a leak. Get home wait a day or two to then check level find the stick dry. Did you add oil back to get it to the correct level or did you drain oil & filter and try again??
What on earth would I gain from posting amazon links that are non referral links? lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm not sure I'd attribute this to pushing items on Amazon... I think he was just showing which products he used.

Where are you seeing that it's a 2.0T? Since he put in 4.5 liters of oil, and is using the correct Mann filter for a 2.5, I'd assume that's what he's got. It would be nice if he'd specify that...

In this case, it's a good VW 502.00-spec engine oil; and the correct Mann filter.

Dumb question.... But is OP sure he installed the drain plug correctly (and used a new one, since the crush washer isn't reusable)?

And that he popped the orange drain valve in the filter housing closed again after draining the housing?

And that the filter housing was installed back correctly?

And that the filter housing gasket was changed? Not missing or double-installed?

Seems to me that losing that much oil in such a short time indicates a major oil leak somewhere. Is there a puddle of oil under the car?
I have a 2008 GTI and upon checking reviews, people have used the same filter for my car. I did not realize I was supposed to pop that orange drain valve back closed. Tried pushing on it and it wouldn't fall back into place.

My concern is that because I did the DSG service as well, I ran it for around 15 minutes once I did both oil and DSG so the transmission fluid would warm up so I can go through the gears. Through those 15 minutes, I checked twice for any leaks and there were none.

I was also confused too because you would think a 5L puddle of oil would be fairly noticeable in my driveaway but there wasn't anything.

EDIT:
I just went outside to double check the spot I did the service at and I could see a small dark circle. Grabbed some of the dirt/rocks and sure enough, smells like oil. I probably drove around 40 miles with 0 oil in it I'm pretty sure. So pissed at myself.

Can you please guide me on what I need to purchase to "maybe" fix it? Like the drain plug and stuff? This is the first time I've ever "worked" on my car and I'm super disappointed jesus....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How many miles did you drive?

C'mon, 4.5 liters of oil consumed? That is either a diesel or runaway engine. It would take a few thousand miles to burn this much oil and still - it would puff smoke like a dragon.

Any physical damage to the oil pan? Loose or stripped plug?
I 100% get where you're coming from. There's no possible way it burned it up. I just went outside to double check the spot I did the service at and I could see a small dark circle. Grabbed some of the dirt/rocks and sure enough, smells like oil. I probably drove around 40 miles with 0 oil in it I'm pretty sure. So pissed at myself.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I have a 2008 GTI and upon checking reviews, people have used the same filter for my car. I did not realize I was supposed to pop that orange drain valve back closed. Tried pushing on it and it wouldn't fall back into place.
OK, so GTI's was correct -- you've got an early-2008 GTI, with the FSI engine (yes?) that was later replaced by the TSI (like on my 2009 GLI).

The TSI uses a top-mounted spin-on filter that looks like this:
Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Lens Material property

I'm not as familiar with the FSI, but it looks like it uses a paper filter that fits into a plastic housing on the bottom of the engine. That's what my wife's 2009 2.5 Jetta uses -- the orange housing drain valve is under that knurled threaded dust cover at the end of the leash:
Camera accessory Font Auto part Peripheral Gadget

Again yes?

If so, and if you didn't pop the orange valve back into place (thus closed) before filling with oil, then -- as Mythbusters used to say -- "well, there's your problem right there."

When I change the oil in my wife's 2.5 Jetta, I always always double- and triple-check whether I remembered to close that orange valve.

It's not sure that all the oil drained out while you were driving. It wouldn't drain out horribly quickly through that valve (I don't think); and the low oil pressure warning comes on before all the oil's gone. So your engine might not be toast.

GTI's is certainly more knowledgeable about this than I am, and can advise you. What I'd do is certainly not drive the car at all like it is. Have it towed to a shop. Or, if you feel lucky, make sure the orange valve is indeed popped close, then refill with oil and see how it runs. I suspect any damage that will be done, has already been done...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, so GTI's was correct -- you've got an early-2008 GTI, with the FSI engine (yes?) that was later replaced by the TSI (like on my 2009 GLI).

The TSI uses a top-mounted spin-on filter that looks like this:
View attachment 222598

I'm not as familiar with the FSI, but it looks like it uses a paper filter that fits into a plastic housing on the bottom of the engine. That's what my wife's 2009 2.5 Jetta uses:
View attachment 222600

The orange housing drain valve is under that knurled threaded cover at the end of the leash.

Again yes?

If so, and if you didn't pop the orange valve back into place (thus closed) before filling with oil, then -- as Mythbusters used to say -- "well, there's your problem right there."

It's not for-sure that all the oil drained out while you were driving. It wouldn't drain out horribly quickly through that valve 9I don't think); and the low oil pressure warning comes on before all the oil's gone. So your engine might not be toast.

What I'd do is certainly not drive the GTI at all like it is. Have it towed to a shop. Or, if you feel lucky, make sure the orange valve is indeed popped close, then refill with oil and see how it runs. I suspect any damage that will be done, has already been done...
yup that’s what the filter housing looks like. So I’ll just need to unscrew it, pop the orange back down, fill again, and pray that Volkswagen engineers are the best to ever do it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
the low oil level light did not come on and the low oil pressure light did? an oil pressure light from low oil means the pickup tube is no longer in the oil fun zone and your oil level light definetly would be on before that because safety meassures.
if you drove it that long with no oil it doesnt matter how good a company is your engine is damaged. main bearings need oil piston skirts sneed oil cam bearings need oil. your engine rattles now right. that is probably your pistons scoring the cylinder walls. go to a shop

also dieseling and runaway engines are the same meaning reffering to hot spots in the combustion chamber causing the engine to continue to run after ignition is off and impossible on fuel injected electronic ignition cars

1 - 20 of 87 Posts