VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,754 Posts
I have not read all of the posts.

If we assume the engine was fine before the oil change, as you say it was.
If we further assume that you did in fact put oil in the engine.
Then the two most likelyś are
The oil drain plug was not installed correctly or tight enough, allowing oil do leak at a good rate
The oil filter was not installed sufficiently tight enough, allowing oil to be pumped out of the engine.
Either of the above should be obvious upon careful inspection.
All that said, running the engine that long without oil has Very Likely RUINED the Engine.Rod and Main bearings cannot live without oil.

I am not familiar with this model VW. If you can remove the oil pan without much disassembly I would do that and at a minimum remove and inspect rod bearings. Shiny, unmarked, Good. Black, scored, Bad.

I bet lunch, the engine is done. Expensive life lesson. We humans sometimes screw up.

fat biker

· Registered
3,754 Posts
By myself yes. I've had a shop do it forever. It's at 125K miles.
Not to pile on here.
This serves as a good example of why when you are first getting your hands dirty servicing your car it is quite beneficial to have an experienced hand either showing you the way or following behind to check your work. As we see here, rookie mistakes can have nasty consequences.

The very first oil change I did when I was just a pup, my brother-in-law was there to make sure I did not screw it up. His words.

My brother-in-law taught me so much about life and working on cars. Still now, all these decades later when I come to a fork in the road or I am stumped I will stop and say out loud.. What would J.S. do?

He has passed now, when I see some of the hand tools he gave me, sitting in my tool box I remember him warmly.

fat biker

1 - 2 of 2 Posts