VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
I think this is a BS post just pushing links to items from Amazon
I'm not sure I'd attribute this to pushing items on Amazon... I think he was just showing which products he used.

This the first time doing an oil/filter change on this 2.0T?
Where are you seeing that it's a 2.0T? Since he put in 4.5 liters of oil, and is using the correct Mann filter for a 2.5, I'd assume that's what he's got. It would be nice if he'd specify that...

In this case, it's a good VW 502.00-spec engine oil; and the correct Mann filter.

Dumb question.... But is OP sure he installed the drain plug correctly (and used a new one, since the crush washer isn't reusable)?

And that he popped the orange drain valve in the filter housing closed again after draining the housing?

And that the filter housing was installed back correctly?

And that the filter housing gasket was changed? Not missing or double-installed?

Seems to me that losing that much oil in such a short time indicates a major oil leak somewhere. Is there a puddle of oil under the car?

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
I have a 2008 GTI and upon checking reviews, people have used the same filter for my car. I did not realize I was supposed to pop that orange drain valve back closed. Tried pushing on it and it wouldn't fall back into place.
OK, so GTI's was correct -- you've got an early-2008 GTI, with the FSI engine (yes?) that was later replaced by the TSI (like on my 2009 GLI).

The TSI uses a top-mounted spin-on filter that looks like this:
Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Lens Material property

I'm not as familiar with the FSI, but it looks like it uses a paper filter that fits into a plastic housing on the bottom of the engine. That's what my wife's 2009 2.5 Jetta uses -- the orange housing drain valve is under that knurled threaded dust cover at the end of the leash:
Camera accessory Font Auto part Peripheral Gadget

Again yes?

If so, and if you didn't pop the orange valve back into place (thus closed) before filling with oil, then -- as Mythbusters used to say -- "well, there's your problem right there."

When I change the oil in my wife's 2.5 Jetta, I always always double- and triple-check whether I remembered to close that orange valve.

It's not sure that all the oil drained out while you were driving. It wouldn't drain out horribly quickly through that valve (I don't think); and the low oil pressure warning comes on before all the oil's gone. So your engine might not be toast.

GTI's is certainly more knowledgeable about this than I am, and can advise you. What I'd do is certainly not drive the car at all like it is. Have it towed to a shop. Or, if you feel lucky, make sure the orange valve is indeed popped close, then refill with oil and see how it runs. I suspect any damage that will be done, has already been done...

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
So which path are you going to take............. add oil till dipstick shows full and start it up and hear how it sounds and then drain it or redo the oil change.
Yeah -- draining (if only to see if there's any oil left in the pan!), putting a new filter in, and replacing the drain plug again would be a smart move.

Third a safest option would be to just have the car towed the car to a good shop, and have them look at it...

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
I would think a shop could indeed at least drop the oil pan and take a look inside. That should be a good indicator of catastrophic problem, no? And the engine wouldn't have to be run any more. Would an oil analysis be appropriate?

If not, then the solution would be, as you say, to drain what's left of the oil, change the filter again (and take a look at both), put a new plug in, and refill...

I'm not sure I'd know what to look for in the oil -- that is, how many sparklies makes it beyond hope. Achieved may, though...

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Removing the pan would just give the shop access to the bottom end and you could have issues further up.
True, but wouldn't excessive and potentially-catastrophic (I hate using that word) damage farther up show up as shavings and crap in the oil pan?

Again, up to Achieved, as to how much time, money, and effort he wants to put into this. Hopefully he's got some considerations now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts