VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

· Registered
6,323 Posts
I’m not getting nasty by any means, I’m just trying to tell you that what I knew before I left Audi was that G12evo was not backwards compatible.
OK, sorry about the sensitivity. :) I just hate it when people do get nasty...

I understand that was your understanding when you left Audi. But every single thing I'm seeing now (official VW/Audi and otherwise) addresses the backwards-compatibility of progressive VW/Audi coolants, saying they are backwards-compatible.

Here's a non-official example regarding G12evo from the UK:

G12evo Engine Coolant 1.0 Litre (G13): G012A8GM1 | Heritage Parts Centre EU

"This is the latest coolant from Volkswagen and supersedes G13 and G12 coolants. Will mix safely with all other VW Coolants (G11, G12, G12+, G13)."

The Brits wouldn't lie... :)

I'm just asking whether you can find a single reference that says otherwise (that we can check)... Coolant compatibility is critically important (as we found out when G11 switched to G12 in ~1997). If you're making an assertion, you really do need to provide evidence... Kind of like a footnote citation...

Annnnd, I've got some more coolant comments/questions.

First, note that the VW TB that GTI's linked to...

19-17-01 - Identifying and Mixing Volkswagen Engine Coolants (U.S. Only) (2022548) (nhtsa.gov)

...confirms what the local VW parts manager told me... The only engine for which VW still sells G13 is the 2015 TDI (CVCA and CRUA).

Second, understanding that VW and Audi say that G12evo is backwards-compatible, there's the note that it'll turn G11, all the G12s, and G13 brown. When I saw that, it just freaked me out, based on past experience with what happens when VW coolants turn brown... o_O

As it happens, the rear main seal blew out last December on my 2009 GLI (TSI engine). As part of the work, my trusted and knowledgeable indy shop flushed and refilled the coolant system. I just checked with them, and sure enough they used the newest G12evo. And, sure enough, despite the flush, my coolant is now cloudy brownish (which VW says is OK):
Cup Gas Serveware Circle Cuisine

That's in stark contrast to the nice clear electric-pink G12++ that's in my wife's 2009 2.5 Jetta:
Colorfulness Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system

If I didn't know about what G12evo is supposed to do, I'd be hopping mad now...

Third, anyone know why VW/Audi went backwards in their designation numbers with G12evo? Why not G13+, or G14?

· Registered
167 Posts
Maybe... regarding whether we should be having it here. But as GTI's pointed out, OP seems to have quit this thread long ago (without telling us what the outcome was); so we naturally turned to other things. :) I'd actually prefer for this coolant discussion to be in its own thread, because I think it's critical for VWs...but we're already into this here...
I agree with the importance of the coolant discussion. I am VERY careful with all of the types of coolants in all of my vehicles. There are different specs for a reason.
Regarding my 2008 Rabbit Mk 5 with the 2.5 engine, when I bought it from the previous owner, I wanted to start fresh with a new and dependable coolant for the best coolant specs at the time which was G12++. I had a professional mechanic who is very familiar with VW/Audi products use a professional flushing machine to completely change the coolant. This prevented any mixing or introducing air into the system. Since then, I've had the same mechanic replace my water pump and thermostat while inspecting the internals of the cooling system. Absolutely no damage has occurred since the flushing/replacing of the current.

Even though the G13 and newer specs of coolants will be coming onto the market, I will stick with my G12++. Just to be on the safe side, I have written on the reservoir bottle, "USE ONLY G12++ COOLANT.

You can choose whichever coolant you want, but this is the info on what I use: Valvoline/ZEREX G40 Euro Pink Coolant

When the VW Rabbit Mk V (2006-2009) was made, the German VW coolant standard specified for it was VW G12 standard. There is now an improved coolant for it which meets the German standard VW G12++ which also meets the worldwide standard BASF G40. Valvoline/ZEREX G40 Euro Pink coolant meets this newest worldwide standard BASF G40 and German standard VW G12++.

BASF G40 standard coolant has only existed since 2008 and has a lower starting pH and less reserve alkalinity. When creating this coolant wanted maximum aluminum protection, BASF originally intended it for use in only VAG* passenger cars.

BASF G40 (VW G12++) works with cast iron, aluminum, other light metals and the combination. Volkswagen recommends it for all of their vehicles made after 2005 (Mk 5 and newer). A complete flush is necessary when replacing any older coolant with a newer, different one.

· Registered
11,357 Posts
Fwiw

"Note:
G12+, G12 ++, G13 and G12evo coolants are lifetime coolants when used exclusively in the coolant
system (not mixed with other coolants).
Coolants can be mixed, as described in the chart, but it is always a best practice to change the coolant
due to reduced corrosion protection when coolants are mixed.
Coolants can be mixed, as described in the chart, when adding / topping off fluid levels. When the coolant
is changed due to a cooling system issue, the cooling system should be drained and filled using published
procedures in Elsa.
The table is read by identifying the factory filled coolant at the top, and comparing to the available service
coolants to the left. (Example: If the car was factory filled with G12++ the coolant allowed is G12++,
G12evo or G13) "

· Registered
6,323 Posts
Even though the G13 and newer specs of coolants will be coming onto the market, I will stick with my G12++. Just to be on the safe side, I have written on the reservoir bottle, "USE ONLY G12++ COOLANT.
Well, remember that when the Mk5's were produced, G12++ was the most-current coolant available. So it'd be real surprising if the sticker showed something newer like G13... ;)

Right after my Post #81 above, i called the local VW dealer and talked with a service manager (not the parts guy this time). He confirmed again that all the newer VW coolants are backwards-compatible with older VW coolants; though G12evo is the only coolant they now put into every engine, except the 2005 TDI.

He also said that to make sure all the old coolant is flushed out, they need to do two or three flushes (what does ELSA say?). With just one flush (which is what my indy shop did), there can be like a quart of old stuff left in there. That was apparently enough to turn my coolant brownish with the G12evo.

Again, he confirmed that's not an issue.

· Registered
11,357 Posts
Well, remember that when the Mk5's were produced, G12++ was the most-current coolant available. So it'd be real surprising if the sticker showed something newer like G13... ;)

Right after my Post #81 above, i called the local VW dealer and talked with a service manager (not the parts guy this time). He confirmed again that all the newer VW coolants are backwards-compatible with older VW coolants; though G12evo is the only coolant they now put into every engine, except the 2005 TDI.

He also said that to make sure all the old coolant is flushed out, they need to do two or three flushes (what does ELSA say?). With just one flush (which is what my indy shop did), there can be like a quart of old stuff left in there. That was apparently enough to turn my coolant brownish with the G12evo.

Again, he confirmed that's not an issue.

You sure they actually flushed it with a machine or just a drain and refill?

Mixing not an issue but it does reduce reduces protection by what degree?? Best to stick with one flavor and run with it.

· Registered
167 Posts
Maybe flushing machines may vary, but I watched the flushing machine as it worked. Three gallons of the new PINK coolant went into an empty tank while the other receiving tank was completely empty. As the new PINK coolant was pumped in, the old coolant was pumped out. The tank was connected to the intake and discharge lines at the radiator. There was no blending of the two different colors in the receiving tank or in the reservoir in the engine bay. I would compare it to dialysis. I can't remember the brand of the machine. The entire procedure took less than 15 minutes. When the job was finished and the machine was turned off, the "new" tank was empty and the "old" tank was full of the old coolant which was its original color.
Like I said, when my thermostat and water pump were replaced, there were not solids or corrosion of any type.

· Registered
6,323 Posts
You sure they actually flushed it with a machine or just a drain and refill?
Well, to paraphrase Mythbusters, "there's your problem right there." Or mine.

The invoice shows $52.99 for a "BG Cooling System Flush Kit" -- what's that? Just the hoses to drain the system, or stuff you need to actually flush?

Then it shows $27.98 for 1 Gallon of "OE Specified Antifreeze/Coolant" -- which they specified was G12evo.

But I see the capacity for a TSI engine is 8.5 quarts. So there was apparently a lot of the G12++ still in there. So a lot of mixing.

Mixing not an issue but it does reduce reduces protection by what degree?? Best to stick with one flavor and run with it.
Well, that's another great question. It's clear (at least to me) that G12evo can be mixed with earlier coolants.

But there does seem to be some effect on corrosion protection. The Audi TB you linked to makes it most clear: "t is always best practice to change the coolant due to reduced corrosion protection when coolants are mixed (exception: G12++ and G13 are fully compatible)."

Maybe because G12evo is now so effective at corrosion protection that mixing it with anything else will relatively reduce that protection...?

So what could that mean? Over the course of 20 years, or one year?

You think I have the coolant drained and completely flushed, and refilled with pure G12evo...?

81 - 87 of 87 Posts