VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing a gas-powered heater under my '02 MVWK. I need to cut a "T" in the low-pressure fuel line to hook up the heater. How do I determine which line to cut? All the lines run over the gas tank, so I can't tell where they originate. Does anyone have a drawing of the fuel system? Thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't tell you where to cut nor do I recomend it due to safety reasons.
However the supply line is black, the return line is blue and the evap line is white.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. The tee needs to be connected between the tank and the fuel pump. Is the low pressure fuel line the large black line, or the small diameter one? Thanks again

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Re: (levind)

Find the fuel pump and you'll know exactly what and where.
And if the fuel comes squirting out like it's under pressure when you cut, it was probably the wrong one!
Always helpful...
Az

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am installing the same heater offerred as an option by VW in Europe. Many Eurovans overseas have this accessory. How do they tap into the fuel line? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, here's a dumb question. If I tee my heater into the return line (I assume low-pressure), will I still get a flow of fuel when the van's fuel pump is not running?

·
Registered
280 Posts

No, it will only suck the fuel out that remains in the line after shutdown.
The only thing I could think of is installing a presure regulator tee-ing off the mainline, but no certain if that would work either cause its drawing fuel thru the pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the return line not really just another pipe into the fuel tank? If I draw on it, won't fuel pull up the pipe in the opposite direction when the fuel pump is off?

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's possible i suppose. Im not sure how far into the tank the line goes. So if the tank were low on fuel. Not sure if it would draw any up?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re: (Macrabbit)

Etka shows an inline fuel pump for the auxillary heater. You should duplicate the factory setup if possible and I'll bet the Bentley CD-rom would show every detail...
Jim
dieselgeek.com
'97 EV Camper w/65K for sale...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim:
Thanks. I have the inline fuel pump. Does Etka show where to hook it into the fuel system?

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote, originally posted by levind »
Jim:
Thanks. I have the inline fuel pump. Does Etka show where to hook it into the fuel system?

No, it doesn't..
Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts