VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dinking around with this set of tt 5 spokes that I bought a few weeks ago and after road force balancing and having one wheel trued, I have eliminated the high speed balance oriented vibration that I was experiencing at 55 mph.
The last remaining issue is this funny steering wheel wobble that I occasionally feel between 25 - 40 mph. It is very subtle, and I know that a lot of people wouldn't notice it. I am picky...
It happens when the steering wheel is straight, and is only noticable between the neutral steering position and the moment when turning the wheel actually makes the car turn, or the reverse, between the car completing the turn and going straight.
The wheel moves back and forth, very subtly, not visually but I can feel it.
I am not sure if the tires are just junk or if the tread pattern is too grabby and is giving me back too much feedback or what. I rotated the front tires to the back and the feeling is there still, but not quite as noticable. The tires with more feeling are squared at the edges and look like they were on the rear of the car I bought the wheels from. The tires that are on the front now are more worn down at the edges, and look like front tires...
I have some 16" studded snows on steelies, and I don't feel this at all. I don't remember feeling it with the stock 15" alloys.
Does anybody have any idea what is going on here? Am I nuts???

I can tell you this is very annoying...
Any advice would be appreciated.
tivoluvr

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
yea.. its ur tires.. thats wat they call "out of rounds" that means ur tire isn't round anymore..some internal parts are breakin and .. CAN pop if u hit the right spot.. i'd say take it to a nearest tire place they'll prollie tell u the same..and sorry its not fixable.. u'd have to get new tires..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (AccordTraitor)

I can live with getting new tires. If I can live with this for a few thousand miles and burn up the tires a bit is it going to wear out any steering parts/suspension/etc?
thanks!
tivoluvr

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (awwsheeet)

No, I switched them around so many times yesterday that I would have noticed ;-)
I think I'm gonna just order some tires and put em on and just ditch the old ones...
tivoluvr

·
Registered
14,114 Posts
Re: Low speed steering wobble. What gives?? (tivoluvr)

Did switching them front to back make a difference? If not it could be something in the suspension.
Could also be a bent or out of round wheel.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Low speed steering wobble. What gives?? (dennisgli)

The difference was really minimal. The tires that are more worn made the wobble less noticable, so I'm thinking it may be a result of the weird tread pattern on the tires that are on the wheels. I don't think I'm suffering from a bent rim at this point, since I have had the one trued and the wobble is only at low speeds.
I think I'm gonna order some sumitomo HTR+ from the tire rack tomorrow and throw those on there and see how it goes. The tires that are on there now are M+S rated, but I think they must have paid somebody off to get that rating, they suck in the snow.
The sumitomo's seem to get good marks for an all season, so hopefully they'll do a little better. I just can't stand the steelies anymore...
I'll let you know.
tivoluvr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts