VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: low volts !! (87turbogti)

5 deg. fahr. is pretty cold, when your battery starts to get old, one of the things is will impact is its capacity to keep its charge overnight when cold, of course, you should verify the charge the alt. gives when idling, but if it gives around 14 vdc, my guess is you need a new batt.
it gets cold where i live, we know all about bat. problems

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: low volts !! (yellorado)

after i see like 10 volts (like 1-3 seconds) i shut it off, strt it back up and give it a really small rev and its goes right up to 13.5 and stays there. but then later on after its warmed up and ive been driving it for a while, i go to turn on the lgihts and rear defroster, it goes below 12 and almost to 11, and when im at idle, warmed up and just started, when i go into reverse i see the volts go down a little bit. whats up with this??

Modified by 87turbogti at 7:20 PM 1-10-2004

· Registered
3,192 Posts

make sure that battery has a good charge. if it keeps low on you, sooner or later u'll start to have fuelin issues, your idle will be crap and ur prefromance will drop significantly.
just some food for thought

· Registered
24,970 Posts

1. multimeter on DC (0-20V or whatever)
2. Connect red probe to big positive of altnerator, connect black to the metal part of alternator.
Do you see 13.5V or higher? No? Bad VR or alternator.
If so, check battery voltage..
(both while car is running of course).
Then do a voltage drop test from the alt to the starter. a toasted power cable can ruin your day. I added an alternator to BATTERY extra wire just to make sure.
I saw 14.0V at the battery when the car was idling at 1100. Of course i have a transpo adj. VR which is set up a little higher to help out with the relayed bulbs/boomin stereo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.