VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Re: Lower Timing Belt Cover Quetion ... (DriveVW4Life)

I remove the wheel well lining, the V-belts, and the crank pulley, then its two or three bolts, the main point:
You WILL have to do more work than you want to, like I said, crank pulley must come off...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Lower Timing Belt Cover Quetion ... (PAGTI91)

put it this way...i changed my own timing belt...and to this day, about 6 months later, the lower timing belt cover is still not in place. that thing is a BITCH AND A HALF to remove. i couldn't get it back on, i gave up very quickly. i just wanted to drive my car again. -josh

·
Registered
201 Posts

Replace it when you remove it. It protects the timing belt from all the crap thrown up from the raod and tires. Leave it off and that debris will destroy your belt sooner or later.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

If you have an excuse, pull the motor.

I actually wanted to clean the engine on all sides, replace the V/C and oilpan gaskets, as well as the timing belt and clutch/flywheel, so it was way easier to just pull it all out. When you have more than 2 inches of clearance, the timing belt is trivial.

Otherwise, what everyone else already said. remove the lower V belt pulley. If you had room to do that, the rest isn't as bad. Unfortunately that is pretty bad. I'd prolly suggest an inspection mirror or 3 and some duct tape so you can see what you're doing from a couple angles at once.

·
Registered
fahrvergnügen
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Lower Timing Belt Cover Quetion ... (negativl)

I have a pit in my garage and I just cleaned it out today (Ssssoooo dirty). I'll be able to get under the car with no problem.
Thanks to all that replied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts