VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's either the upper strut mount, ball joint, or tie rod. It feels/sounds like something is poping near the front drivers side and it's definetly the suspension. Anyone have a similar problem or think they know what this could be? It happens when I first start moving the car and turn, but goes away when I get up to speed.

· Registered
2,962 Posts
Re: Lowered suspension problem (michael whittaker)

it's probably your drive shaft rubbing.....which springs/dampners did you use?....you have a vr6, right?...a little heavier in the front end......how much did you lower it?........you may need a front sway bar.....or different endlinks.......

· Registered
373 Posts

Another thing to look at is the upper strut nut. I've had problems with mine: at low speeds, it makes a pop-pop-pop noise as I turn the wheel.
You're gonna laugh, but I solved mine by:
1. remove the top nut and top metal flange from inside the engine bay
2. tighten the nut you now see at the top of the shock
3. spray WD-40 or other lube on the strut bearing
4. reassemble
It's been pop-free for months now.

· Registered
1,555 Posts
Re: Lowered suspension problem (clklop1)

Quote, originally posted by clklop1 »
it's probably your drive shaft rubbing.....
i doubt it's his driveshaft on the driver's side rubbing, our cars have larger drive shafts on the passenger side which is why when you lower our cars often times the driveshaft rubs the hoop on the front swaybar......but it's usually only the passenger side or both never just the driver's side

· Registered
2,962 Posts
Re: Lowered suspension problem (nbrooke23)

yep...you're right....but stranger things have happened.....i was merely offering a suggestion to what the problem may be...that's all....funny how some people are so quick to point out that someone else MAY be wrong.....if that makes you feel better......mr-vw-know-it all........

· Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Lowered suspension problem (wago)

Quote, originally posted by wago »
Another thing to look at is the upper strut nut. I've had problems with mine: at low speeds, it makes a pop-pop-pop noise as I turn the wheel.

Yes, that exactly what's going on here. At low speed is when I get the pop and when I turn the wheel. I will try it tomorrow after work. Sounds pretty easy.

· Registered
2,669 Posts
Re: Lowered suspension problem (clklop1)

Quote, originally posted by clklop1 »
yep...you're right....but stranger things have happened.....i was merely offering a suggestion to what the problem may be...that's all....funny how some people are so quick to point out that someone else MAY be wrong.....if that makes you feel better......mr-vw-know-it all........

The point is not to point out faults or to make oneself feel better. There are two reasons for doing this. First, to get the course of the thread back on track. So people don't go off on wild goose chases. And, second, to remove the inaccurate and incorrect information from the correct possibilities.
If you're offended, please grow up. Neither this thread nor this forum are set up to make people feel good about themselves. The purpose is to disseminate correct information to as many people as quickly as possible. If you "guessed" wrong, just accept the fact that someone may know more than you and re-steered the poster to a more correct course.

Modified by dmkozak at 3:07 PM 1-10-2004

· Registered
312 Posts

first, is this sound when your wheels a turned all the way to right or to the left?...if so could be wheel bearings.
second, how low is your car?...if too low could be front sway bar rubbing...you have vr6?

· Registered
1,555 Posts
Re: Lowered suspension problem (dmkozak)

dmkozak said:
The point is not to point out faults or to make oneself feel better. There are two reasons for doing this. First, to get the course of the thread back on track. So people don't go off on wild goose chases. And, second, to remove the inaccurate and incorrect information from the correct possibilities.
If you're offended, please grow up. Neither this thread nor this forum are set up to make people feel good about themselves. The purpose is to disseminate correct information to as many people as quickly as possible. If you "guessed" wrong, just accept the fact that someone may know more than you and re-steered the poster to a more correct course.

Modified by VWMike81 at 12:01 AM 1-12-2004

· Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Lowered suspension problem (nbrooke23)

I have the VR6. It always does it when I reverse, or turn to the left suddenly. I tried to tighten the upper strut nut, and the whole assembly just kept turning with it???
The car is lowered 55mm in front.

· Registered
373 Posts

Quote, originally posted by michael whittaker »
Well, I guess I'm just going to take it to this shop in about a month. For $20, they will look at the car and diagnose the problem. For $20, you can't go wrong there.

Probably a good idea. Did my WD-40 hack help at all? I forgot to mention that you need the upper strut nut tool to remove that top nut.

· Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Lowered suspension problem (wago)

Where do I get one of those at/where's the cheapest place? I'll try that, but if it doesn't work and my strut mounts are indeed shot, I found a guy who will sell me his that have 35k miles on them.

· Banned
4,406 Posts

did you replace your sock endlinks with aftermarket ones? check those, i think we have about the same drop and i used FD front endlinks but the seller didnt give me all the washers and the endlinks ended up bending, causing a popping sound from stress at low speeds. it sounded like a strut nut was loose, or maybe a cv joint was going. not until i looked under the car did i see the bent endlinks. i put the stock ones ack on, and have been good ever since. btw im on sportline springs with the strut spacer removed, 2001 gti vr6

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.