VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I an new to the Voretex and i am still trying to elarn my way around. I want to lower my 2000 V6 Passat to get a better ride and a handle. I have heard good things about Neuspeed's Spring kits. They seem to run at about $260 for a set. Is this all i need to lower my car 1"-2" inches? Do I need other parts? All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Re: Lowering my 2000 V6 Passat (MWadidas55)

You'll find many opinions here. What are you looking for,ultimate drop ?? Decent ride with small drop ?? I have H&R OE Sports with Bilstein Sport struts & shocks. The fronts have adjustable spring perches therefore I can drop the front further if I want without changing springs again. The front height measures 26 inches ground to fender lip,the rear is 26 1/2. I had Neuspeeds on my '86 Jetta and I liked them but the rear did start to sag after a year & a half.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Lowering my 2000 V6 Passat (VWGUY4EVER)

I am not really looking for the ultimate drop. I am more of a smaller drop, like 1.5", just to get a better handle on the car. Should i replace the entire shock/spring system? or just do the springs? Which way is best? and how much is it gonna cost me. All help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
286 Posts

Run a search on "high vin" or "low vin" here and at ClubB5. There was a running spec change on our 2000 which affect lowering the car in the front. I've had a hell of a time with it.

·
Registered
233 Posts

I'm looking for the same, doing a lot of homework on rim's in the 17 to 18 inch relm.. I've read that the the springs alone will wear out your stock shocks quickly. The general opinion that I've found is to replace the springs and shocks. Although it may cost more than just replacing the springs, it will save you in the long run because of labor (replacing springs now and replacing shocks later).

·
Registered
926 Posts
Re: Lowering my 2000 V6 Passat (rcaton1)

I agree with what's said so far above, just wanted to give my input. I have H&R Sport springs which have suited me quite well so far. I haven't done the shocks yet, but I will probably do it closer to 25k miles. I think they are rated to drop the car about 1.5" all around, slightly less in the back. I got them for about $190 from http://www.parts4vws.com, which is pretty much the best price I could find this fall. I am interested to know more about the spring perch mentioned by VWGUY4EVER... anyone know what that's all about?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

My car had just Eibach springs fitted for about a year. The ride got progressively worse (bouncy) to the point that even my wife complained. A set of Eibach shocks were fitted about a week ago (ala Pro-System) and I'm very pleased with the results.
Front wheel arch is ~25" from the ground or 1.5" from the top of the tyre. Rear wheel arch is ~26" from the ground or 2.5" from the top of the tyre.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Re: Lowering my 2000 V6 Passat (GoBigRed)

the neuspeed version of the bilstein shocks has i think 5 grooves onto which the spring perch can sit on. the OEM position would be in the middle, therefore you have two options...2 notches higher or 2 notches lower. i think each notch is 1/4" increments.

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
Re: Lowering my 2000 V6 Passat (schmove)

Have had Pro Kit springs/Bilstein Sports on for a year plus. Added Nuespeed 25mm rear sway bar last fall, now think suspension feel is perfect. No squat, dive, or lean and turn in more aggressive. Ride acceptable, at least on CA roads, don't know how this set up would work in the "war zone" back east!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: Lowering my 2000 V6 Passat (spitpilot)

Get coilovers. They will give you the freedom to lower & raise whenever you want. And talk about suspension tuning - they are the ultimate in handling! I love 'em.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Re: Lowering my 2000 V6 Passat (BoeserBlick)

hey joe stop showing off your darn coilovers!

i'm jealous! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts