VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on lowering my '69 Beetle in the front and need some advice. Time has already lowered the rear, so I want to lower it evenly and do the front. I have 5 1/2 inch wide stock chrome rims all around, and I need to know how far the front can be lowered without rubbing problems, as this will be a daily driver (hopefully) in the summer. Also, does anyone have an OEM fender, driverside front for a '68-69 beetle? Thanks! -Sean

·
Registered
474 Posts
Re: Lowering my '69--HELP!!!!!! (jettagli1991)

As far as i know (which isnt very) if you go with drop spindles it will actually move the wheels outward because of a plate on the back of the spindles. So if you go with drop spindles it may be wise to get a narrowed beam. I just did an adjustable beam on mine and it was very easy and keeps all the wheel geometry the same.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts
Re: Lowering my '69--HELP!!!!!! (jettagli1991)

My 64 has an adjustable beam (Puma style, not Sway-a-way) as the Puma style is the only thing that is approved by VW for lowering the front end.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Lowering my '69--HELP!!!!!! (PerL)

How do you do an adjustable beam? what is the approximate cost and how much labor is involved in installing it? I'm not looking to slam the car, just do a little lowering all around. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: Lowering my '69--HELP!!!!!! (PhatMatt)

quote:[HR][/HR]As far as i know (which isnt very) if you go with drop spindles it will actually move the wheels outward because of a plate on the back of the spindles[HR][/HR]​
Depends on what kind of spindles you use. CB spindles are made with their own backing plate and the change in track width is minimal. Some others are made with original backing plates with the spindles re-welded on causing about a half inch (I think) increase per side. I run the CB 2 1/2 inch spindles on a stock width beam with 135's on my '68. I also have adjusters because 2 1/2 inches just isn't enough!
quote:[HR][/HR]I just did an adjustable beam on mine and it was very easy and keeps all the wheel geometry the same.[HR][/HR]​
The wheel stays in the same place on the backing plate but the suspension geometry changes with an adjustable beam. Drop spindles move the wheel up on the backing plate but leave the trailing arms and tie rods in the stock position. Not trying to sound like a know-it-all (I'm very aware there is much I don't know!) just wanted to make sure this was all clear.

[Modified by ThrasherBill, 11:05 PM 1-23-2003]

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Re: Lowering my '69--HELP!!!!!! (ThrasherBill)

i have the same setup as thrasher bill and it works great. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
i was running a wider tire and had to switch to 145's but otherwise no probs.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Re: Lowering my '69--HELP!!!!!! (water&air)

before you go for the adjustable beams, you have to keep this in mind, your car suspension will be adjustable.. and they will break. Spindle are solid material, it will only drop 2 inches and it is the best way to lower your bug.. if you're worried about rubbing, those 155's tires won't rub.

·
Registered
39,344 Posts
Re: Lowering my '69--HELP!!!!!! (11secBug)

The best way to lower a bug is NOT spindles. I am the presient of Las Vegas Air Cooled, and there isn't one person that has dropped spindles in my club. The best way to go are the adjusters that weld to the middle of the beam. Dont get the cheap ones either, they break. I ran the same setup in my bug for 3 years with 195/50/15 tires in front. Also, if time has made the rear of your car sag, its time to get new torsion bars, install them, and turn them down 1 notch to get the right ride, otherwise it will look and ride like garbage......

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Re: Lowering my '69--HELP!!!!!! (VegasJetta)

how are spindles not the best way to lower. all other brands of autos do it this way to keep the same suspension travel, we do it for the same reason. not that adjusters are a bad way to go, it just seems a little short sighted to say that because none of your friends do it that way it makes it bad. have you ever drove one with dropped spindles and one with adjusters that are adjusted the same drop as the spindles. the spindle drop has a much nicer ride and doesn't make you feel like your driving your skateboard to work.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Re: Lowering my '69--HELP!!!!!! (pkagel)

Well.. I drag race my bugs.. I've seen beams break when they land after the launch... for a sunday cruisin'... those beams will do.. but for me.. no way jose!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts