VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I'm in the market for some lowering springs. To start off, dont even bother mentioning adjustabole coilovers. I cannot afford them
. I was wondering if anyone has much experience lowering A1's, my car is like a 4x4. I saw some Intrax ones, they lowered 2.3 and 2.5", and the only Eibachs I have found only drop it 1". Please let me know what you all think! I'm not racing the car competitivly, I just want a lower firmer ride.
Thanks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: Lowering my Jetta GLi (BennyGLI)

it depends on what your looking for... i put h&r springs with boge struts on my 87 gti, and im not happy with it. its just not stiff enough however its much better than stock... i would recomend a cup kit everything is matched and will work much better http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
287 Posts

get some FK non adjustables and Apex coils. i had that and liked the ride on my GLI ( last I capital, just like the badge

the FK and Apex rode nice and sat level. dropped it enough for me to slide my fingers between the fender and wheel top only, where as before i could put my whole fist on my tire. (4x4 like you said)
do you have front upper/lower stressbars yet? if not get some. you can make a ghetto lower one pretty easy with aluminum tube pounded down on the ends and drill a hole through. like i said ghetto, lol.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: Lowering my Jetta GLi (Lord Buddha)

quote:[HR][/HR]you can make a ghetto lower one pretty easy with aluminum tube pounded down on the ends and drill a hole through. like i said ghetto, lol.
[HR][/HR]​
haha that is pretty ghetto did you do that on your car? how does it work??

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Lowering my Jetta GLi (VWtub)

Sorry, can we please keep this on topic, I'm in need of some info in the next few days as I just replaced my drive axle, steering rack, and control arms from a mean curb beating. It would be coonvenient to look into springs at this time.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

How low do you want to go?
On my gti I have H&R sport springs on bilstein sport struts, pretty stiff for almost 4 years now. Handling is pretty impressive for a street setup. Some female passengers complain about the bumpy ride
I'm running a 205/50x15 tire right now, which is a little bit taller than stock, and have about 1/2" of fender gap in front and about 1" in the rear.
Another thing to keep in mind is your rabbit only has about 4" of suspension travel, if you lower 2" you're basically cutting your travel in half.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: Lowering my Jetta GLi (white rabbit)

Don't lower the car much more than an inch and a half. a1's only have about five inches of suspension travel to begin with. If your not racing, a one inch drop would be good because it won't foul the arches or jack up your c.v. joints. As for brand, you'll never get a straight answer in this forum. Some guys are honest and tell you what they think, but alot of others want to justify their purchase or think they have the best equipment (which may or may not be true)

·
Banned
287 Posts

vwtub, i had the ghetto stressbar on one of my old rabbits. it worked fine! just went to home deopt and got the tubing there, easy-peasy! i only ended up switching because i found a rocco 16v bar in a yard for cheap. triangulation is where its at.

i'm looking to get a used rear stressbar for my jetta if i find one cheap. i could make one out of tubing i guess but in a jetta its not that big a deal compared to a "hot hatch" and i have other more important concerns at the moment.

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
Experience (rabbit),
Frank Lee is right about travel, think about how car will be driven, then what type of road conditions, next wheel size.
I am running a 60mm drop in nyc- it hurts..... reaally bad for the car. I pesonally would not drop over 40mm. So here are my recs: springs-H & R, FK, Weitec, KW (no neuspd, or
shock rec: Bil. sports.(PERIOD). pay a little more in the front and never worry again, I settled on these after wasting time and money on others. good luck

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Lowering my Jetta GLi (gtimagic)

Thanks...My local VW tuner recommened the same stuff, but I'm looking towards the 60mm drop, just cause my car is so high. The guy working at the shop has a car like mine with the same suspension i was interested in (60mm drop) and it was perfect. I appreciate your advice huge tho..it reinforced what I was previously told. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
here's an idea:
go with a 40 mm drop to get more suspension travel(vs. 60mm), and use Lowering spring caps (Bonrath has them-loweres like additional 15 or 20 mm). Bilsteins sports are great too , cause they have internal bump stops-theroretically? more piston travel..hmmmmm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.