VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1249 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my Alltrack the other day and researching various suspension options. I don’t plan on going stupid low so air suspension is out of the question.

I’ve seen spring options such as Emmanuele Design and the Golf R springs, but not too
much else on this board.

Are there any other options out there that will a provide nice ride quality yet not too aggressive of a drop? (Coilovers and springs) Please post pictures and any reviews you may have. I don’t want to do things twice and want to be solid on a suspension decision.

Pic of my new fun wagon:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts
I just got my springs in. I believe they will put you slightly lower than the Golf R springs with proper bumpstops.
hybrid88, Eibach claim 1.2" (30mm) drop with this kit for Alltrack which is the same amount that Golf R springs are lower than Alltrack springs. (on the front at least). The Eibach's are a better choice tho because they are designed for the wagon and shouldn't require the additional rear spring pad. I expect the rear rate to be much higher than the Alltrack's and wonder if it will also be higher than the Golf R's 245 lbs/" but haven't been able to find out. The first thing I plan to do with my Alltrack when it finally arrives this Saturday is load 200 lbs into the trunk above the axle and measure the drop so I can get some idea of the Alltrack's stock spring rate. When you get your Eibach's installed perhaps you can do the same so we can compare:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why would you buy an Alltrack just to lower it? Could have just bought a regular Sportwage no? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Why would you buy an Alltrack just to lower it? Could have just bought a regular Sportwage no? Am I missing something?
I'll tell you why I went Alltrack over Sportwagen. Even in its base S trim, the Alltrack is a much nicer vehicle than the Sportwagen 4mo. If VW offered the Sportwagen 4Mo in SE trim, I probably would have gone that route. I'm not an off-road guy. I wanted the AWD for snow. For me, it was worth the extra money to get the Alltrack.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'll tell you why I went Alltrack over Sportwagen. Even in its base S trim, the Alltrack is a much nicer vehicle than the Sportwagen 4mo. If VW offered the Sportwagen 4Mo in SE trim, I probably would have gone that route. I'm not an off-road guy. I wanted the AWD for snow. For me, it was worth the extra money to get the Alltrack.
Ditto. I got an Alltrack in spite of, not because of, its ride height and off-road modes. Had a Sportwagen 4MO SE been on offer, I would have been very interested. (Of course, had a Golf R Variant been on offer, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I see. That makes sense. I guess it’s different for us here in Canada because here you can get 4Motion in a base model Sportwagen for about $25/26k. Enjoy your Alltrack, mine has been great so far!

·
Registered
265 Posts
There is a whole other discussion on this somewhere.

My main reason, other than what was listed above, was there wasn't any SEL 4 mo Sportwagons in my area when I went to buy the Alltrack. There were about 20 SEL Alltracks near me though and the dealer I was dealing with would not give me the same discounts if the car wasn't on their lot.

·
Registered
265 Posts
hybrid88, Eibach claim 1.2" (30mm) drop with this kit for Alltrack which is the same amount that Golf R springs are lower than Alltrack springs. (on the front at least). The Eibach's are a better choice tho because they are designed for the wagon and shouldn't require the additional rear spring pad. I expect the rear rate to be much higher than the Alltrack's and wonder if it will also be higher than the Golf R's 245 lbs/" but haven't been able to find out. The first thing I plan to do with my Alltrack when it finally arrives this Saturday is load 200 lbs into the trunk above the axle and measure the drop so I can get some idea of the Alltrack's stock spring rate. When you get your Eibach's installed perhaps you can do the same so we can compare:)
I still holding out on the original claim on their website. When they were first posted on their website, it was posted at 1.4" lower than stock. I also talked to someone at Eibach to confirm the drop back then. Wasnt there another thread where someone posted all the info on the different variants of the MK7 Eibach Springs?

At anyrate, I will definitely post pics and measurements after the install

·
Registered
233 Posts
There is a whole other discussion on this somewhere.

My main reason, other than what was listed above, was there wasn't any SEL 4 mo Sportwagons in my area when I went to buy the Alltrack. There were about 20 SEL Alltracks near me though and the dealer I was dealing with would not give me the same discounts if the car wasn't on their lot.
There aren't any SEL 4mo Sportwagens in the U.S. 4motion is only offered in the base S trim. And from what I've seen, that will not change in 2018. Not sure why VW doesn't offer 4motion as an option across the Sportwagen line, but then I have a hard time with many of VW's choices as to what trims/equipment/models are offered in the US.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I just got my springs in. I believe they will put you slightly lower than the Golf R springs with proper bumpstops.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I can't wait to see this. I have my stock R springs and cant decide if I should install them in the wife's Alltrack, or order something model specific. I thought R springs dropped the Alltrack closer to 2"?

·
Registered
265 Posts
There aren't any SEL 4mo Sportwagens in the U.S. 4motion is only offered in the base S trim. And from what I've seen, that will not change in 2018. Not sure why VW doesn't offer 4motion as an option across the Sportwagen line, but then I have a hard time with many of VW's choices as to what trims/equipment/models are offered in the US.
Thanks for clarifying. I think there were (2) 4 motions within the 4 dealers I searched around me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can't wait to see this. I have my stock R springs and cant decide if I should install them in the wife's Alltrack, or order something model specific. I thought R springs dropped the Alltrack closer to 2"?
Not from what I have read. The Alltrack is an inch taller than the sportwagon. The sportwagon is .2" taller than the GolfR.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Not from what I have read. The Alltrack is an inch taller than the sportwagon. The sportwagon is .2" taller than the GolfR.

Just went back and read through all the threads I can find. Sounds like R springs are 2” so you won’t be nearly as low.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just went back and read through all the threads I can find. Sounds like R springs are 2” so you won’t be nearly as low.

Everything I have read comes back to this from Z06Jerry. "Golf R springs are approx 15mm lower than GSW4mo (30mm lower than Alltrack). since GSW's are about 100 lbs heavier in the back you should expect a little reverse rake when compared to a Golf R. People are using thicker Audi TT Mk2 upper spring pads to compensate."

I have seen an Alltrack with GolfR springs and I can say there is no way it is a full 2" lower than my stock alltrack. The Alltrack only gives you an extra inch of ground clearance over a GSW.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

This looks like a lot more than 1.2”.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Golf R springs drop Alltrack ~ 30mm (1.2") in the front. There are 3 OEM spring heights, Standard -0mm, GTI & Golf R -15mm and Alltrack +15mm. FWIW, VW has 3 front bump stop sizes too, 55mm (GolfR) 70mm (Sportwagen) and 85mm (Alltrack) to match the three spring heights.

Alltrack suspension is only 15mm (.6") taller than GSW 4mo, the Alltrack's additional height is from taller tires. The Sportwagen suspension is 15mm (.6") taller than Golf R (in the front). The Alltrack suspension is ~ 30mm (1.2") taller than Golf R.

The message you're quoting above seems to be comparing the ride height of 2 different cars that could have different wheels/tires and different people taking measurements too? Not very reliable IMHO.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
1 - 20 of 1249 Posts